Steve Vai/Konk

Does anyone know the story behind this? The pieces of tape on the edges of the neck humbucker. Vai's has Konk written on his. I've seen some of Dime's guitars with the tape on the edge of the neck pickup as well. As soon as I know why, I'm gonna do it too! :cool:

Gnash5150 said:
Does anyone know the story behind this? The pieces of tape on the edges of the neck humbucker. Vai's has Konk written on his. I've seen some of Dime's guitars with the tape on the edge of the neck pickup as well. As soon as I know why, I'm gonna do it too! :cool:

It's so the string won't catch on the pickup when using the wammy bar or striking the string very hard. The first time that happens to you, you'll understand. :D

Yeah, gettin crazy with my floyd and the strings flappin' out there, one wraps around the lip of the neck pu! :eek: Snap! Konk sounds like radio station call letters, maybe.

It's KONX, actually...

Taken from Vai's website:

The word “KONX” is an ancient alchemist mantra word that is believed to have originated with Aleister Crowley. It’s meant to be used in various incantations that are supposed to invoke disembodied entities from the abyss to materialize into the physical.

Please don’t try that at home...

Back