Stereo vs. Mono

jimmy2sticks said:
I have seen a lot of questions of this board about stereo/mono recording/mixing. I thought that anyone who would like to learn should take a look at what wikipedia has to say before posting questions about it. The descriptions are very detailed.

Stereo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo
Monoural: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereo

Have Fun!

Little Jimmy2Sticks, thinks he's soooo smart. Why, I bet he thinks he's smarter than Einstein.

I can explain it, it's pretty simple :rolleyes: One microphone = one channel, or mono. Stereo = 2 channels, or 2 microphones. Recording one microphone should always be mono, because there sonly one sound source. Using two microphones to record one audio source is stereo. But I suggest recording both of them in mono and then routing them to a stereo bus. Mixdowns then take all the tracks and put them to one stereo track.

avieth said:
Using two microphones to record one audio source is stereo.

Not if your two microphones play back out of one speaker. That's what makes it stereo. You need two mics and two speakers. Doesn't matter if you record 1 person or a 100 people.

But I suggest recording both of them in mono and then routing them to a stereo bus. Mixdowns then take all the tracks and put them to one stereo track.

Both of which? Jimmy2sticks was just posting a good place for information, not talking about specific examples.

RAK said:
Not if your two microphones play back out of one speaker. That's what makes it stereo. You need two mics and two speakers. Doesn't matter if you record 1 person or a 100 people.
Really, only if you mic something (using two mics) to capture the stereo image. Just sticking two mics on a source willy nilly won't get you stereo.

Jimmy,

While I agree with and appreciate your intent behind this thread, I gotta say that the citing of Wikipedia as a go-to reference source is one of the seven signs of the Apocalypse. ;) :)

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Jimmy,

While I agree with and appreciate your intent behind this thread, I gotta say that the citing of Wikipedia as a go-to reference source is one of the seven signs of the Apocalypse. ;) :)

G.

Why is that?

Farview said:
Really, only if you mic something (using two mics) to capture the stereo image. Just sticking two mics on a source willy nilly won't get you stereo.

Dude, the stereo image only exists because there are two speakers. Yes, you need two mics to make a stereo recording, that is an important part, but it doesn not matter what goes into the mics.

There are distinct differences between monoaural, binaural, monophonic, and stereophonic.

If you're sitting in a concert hall listening to music being performed on stage, a stereo image in only percieved because we have two ears. If you only have one ear, there is no stereo image, no matter what's on stage.
As I said, you need two mics & two speakers. Of course 1 mic out of two speakers is not stereo, that's just dual mono.

jimmy2sticks said:
Why is that?
Wikipedia is so riddled with inaccuracies, cultural myth, and even the occasional informational vandalism that I wouldn't trust it any further than I could throw an aircraft carrier, unless I verified the information through at least one or two other non-Internet-based sources first.

Truth is not a matter of public opinion and facts are not subject to open sourcing.

Now I'm not saying that the particular articles you referenced fit that above description. I just bugs me when people in general cite Wikipedia as a sole authoritative source. The implication that one can depend upon Wikipedia alone to give them the real scoop is misleading.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Truth is not a matter of public opinion and facts are not subject to open sourcing.G.

Until new evidence comes along. It use to be true that the world was flat right?

Hey man..
my a27m broke damnit. :mad:
RAK said:
Dude, the stereo image only exists because there are two speakers. Yes, you need two mics to make a stereo recording, that is an important part, but it doesn not matter what goes into the mics.

There are distinct differences between monoaural, binaural, monophonic, and stereophonic.

If you're sitting in a concert hall listening to music being performed on stage, a stereo image in only percieved because we have two ears. If you only have one ear, there is no stereo image, no matter what's on stage.
As I said, you need two mics & two speakers. Of course 1 mic out of two speakers is not stereo, that's just dual mono.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Truth is not a matter of public opinion and facts are not subject to open sourcing.

G.

Not a fan of open sourcing, huh? Well that you might as well stop using this forum. This is open source at it's best. Sure, there are flaws, but the next person comes along and fixes it. If it were your way, it would be just like Windows and the virus problems that OS has had. The problems would be there, but no solution can be offered until the owner (Microsoft) does anything about it.

So you would rather trust one source than a pool of knowledge? I love my linux web and mail servers. I love that I can find things wrong with it, post it back on open source message boards like this one and continue on.

Do you watch Fox News too?

SouthSIDE Glen said:
No, it was never true that the Earth was flat. The earth has never been flat.

G.

Well we "know" that now.
My sister is starting in a class at university that deals with researching pollution in the Great Lakes, and gathering information from locals as well, to eventually be integrated with Wikipedia. It's a journalism/telecom type class I guess. While one should always double check their sources, and get multiple opionions, I think Wikipedia has established itself as a viable informational database.

RAK said:
Dude, I wasn't arguing about the speakers (why I didn't bring it up)

Of course, your point about having to hear the stereo image is kind of like the tree falling in the woods question. If you are deaf in one ear, does that mean that the stereo image doesn't exist? Or does it mean you just can't hear it. You are talking like stereo is a perception that comes and goes depending on who is listenening to it.

You can certainly capture a stereo image, then choose to play it back on one speaker. That would be a stereo recording played back in mono. The recording is not effected by the playback system any more than the playback system effects the recording.

Farview said:
The recording is not effected by the playback system any more than the playback system effects the recording.
Assuming the stereo audio is in phase, of course.

Back