Stereo tracks

Abbott

On the tascam 414 mkii, there are two stereo tracks 5/6 and 7/8. I have used these for patching in effects, only to be disappointed that it seems to create two different sounds, the normal sound, and the effected sound. Anyways...you can obviously record stereo stuff into it, but how. For instance, for my drums i use a mixer and use the two outputs, L and R into two tracks into the tascam. How would I go about doing this into the stereo track (with one cord). What tracks would it go on? Would I save tracks?

The stereo input on the tascam 414 mkii appears to be a 1/4" TRS from the photo. (I don't use one)

the stereo inputs could be used for almost any stereo source; drum machine, synth module or mixer outputs.

So assuming that your drum machine, synth module or mixer has 2-1/4" TS outputs (typical) L&R, all you would need is a simple Y cable. It should have 2 female 1/4" TS ends combining into 1 male 1/4" TRS 'stereo' end.

You would then take the same cables you are currently using (instrument cables I would presume) insert them into the female ends of the Y cable (L&R). The male TRS end of the Y cable goes into the tascam 414 mkii 5/6 or 7/8. Then follow the instruction manual for recording and editing a stereo track.

NOTE: that is an unbalanced connection. If you are using the balanced XLR outs on your mixer you may have to utilize the unbalanced outputs instead. Be aware of any noise that this may/may not introduce. It shouldn't be a problem provided your not sending the signal over a great distance or have other wiring problems.

I just thought I would add: Over the weekend I was inserting an effect into my mixer and the cable made me think of your question.

You could turn an "insert cable" around to achieve the same thing. Plug the 2-TS ends into the mixers main outputs (L&R), then plug the TRS end into your recorder's "stereo in" and you should have what your looking for.

Ed

It is preferred to have the dry and wet (effected) signals seperate so you can mix the amount of wet to dry for each instrument according to how much of their AUX send is going to the effects.

You may need to clarify your questions a bit.

Abbott said:
On the tascam 414 mkii, there are two stereo tracks 5/6 and 7/8.

Actually, those are stereo channels, not stereo tracks. I may just be acting pedantic, but if you keep the concept of a tape track and a mixer channel distinct in your mind, life will be a lot easier. The portastudio has a mixer and a tape deck combined into one box. The mixer has 8 channels (4 "normal" mono channel strips + 2 pairs of 2 more limited inputs set up as stereo channel strips). The tape deck has 4 tracks.

I have used these for patching in effects,

So far, so good. That's certainly one of the main purposes they're there for.

only to be disappointed that it seems to create two different sounds, the normal sound, and the effected sound.

Here you've lost me. That's sort of what they're supposed to do.

A typical bit of signal routing, for example, when mixing down is to send some of the 4 tape tracks out the effect box (using the effects send pots on the mono channel strips), set the effects box 100% "wet", then bring its two (stereo) returns to channels 5 and 6. Turn the level pot for channels 5/6 to tast -- higher for more effect, lower for less.

The 5/6 and the 7/8 chacks are TRS jacks that carry the stereo signal on a single jack. If your effects box has separate jacks for L and R (most do), you will need to use an "insert" cable. An "insert" cable has a TRS plug at one end and two TS (or RCA) plugs at the other end. All the S (sleeve) contacts are wired together. The tip of one TS plug is wired to the T (tip) of the TRS, and the tip of the other TS plug is wired to the R (ring) of the TRS.

Anyways...you can obviously record stereo stuff into it, but how. For instance, for my drums i use a mixer and use the two outputs, L and R into two tracks into the tascam. How would I go about doing this into the stereo track (with one cord). What tracks would it go on? Would I save tracks?

I don't entirely follow your question at this point, but I think you're confusing tracks and channels.

If you have another mixer, I'd probably plug it into the "Sub In" L and R inputs on the 414. There's no particular reason to route it through a channel.

More generally, if you want to record a stereo source ("stereo" = two signals at once) on the portastudio in stereo, a typical way to do it might be: plug L source into mixer channel 1 input and R source into mixer channel 2 input; pan channel 1 hard left and channel 2 hard right; record to tape tracks 1 and 2. This has the advantage that you can adjust levels and EQ with the channel strips.

There's no really compelling reason to use 5/6 and 7/8 for this, but you can. The hook up would be much like the connections described above for an effects box. Unless the other mixer has its line outs on a TRS stereo jack (they generally don't), you'll need to use an insert cable.

I looked at the photo of the tascam 414 mkii w/o reading the specs. For what ever reason I thought it was an 8track cassette instead of 4 track. Either way, the cabling I mentioned still applys.

Since it is indeed a 4track machine sjjohnston brings up some poignant issues, such as recording the stereo inputs directly is not worth the trouble.. just record your source onto any pair 1-4.

The only area I disagree with sjjohnston is that I can think of a compelling reason to use the stereo inputs.. you could have a drum machine (or live kit submixed in your other mixer) running into the stereo inputs and track the 'stereo drums' along with another instrument (or 2) such as bass and/or rhythm guitar with everything being recorded to 2 tracks. (any 2 1-4). This would eliminate a need to "bounce" tracks, at least 1 time anyway. Of course it also means more people are involved and getting a good "group" performance/mix may be an issue (or not). YMMV

Back