stereo seperation

doulos

3d stereo image

This is a 2 part question and this is not a newbie question it might sound like it but I’m wanting deeper answers here. What in your opinion is the best song you have heard that has the best 3d stereo separation/image im talking about everything all elements sounding like they each have there own space and "air" around them almost as if they had there eq scoped so they all stand alone by themselves. Carving a truly nice sounding 3d sound stage

I'm well aware that this is the pinnacle of a truly great engineered project and also aware that this starts from the tracking up and all elements compression, eq, panning, spatial and even m s techniques are probably used, but im sure there are also some guidelines when going for this type of sound that is what im after. The "air" comment intrigues me most how do engineers get this almost as if the instruments are floating around you feel ive never been able to truly achieve that.

one technique ive heard is having delays in the mix going at 16ths and 8ths in opposite directions helps create this air feeling ,but i don’t even know where to place them to achieve this sound I’ll post a sample track of what im talking about for those that don’t understand. This track http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2997/singles lead me on is a perfect example of this it feels like i could reach out and pick any part of this out the kick bass the snare the vocals the guitars everything can be heard clearly and feels like a 3d space like it has space around it this song is one of the best mixed tracks i have in my cd collection. My mixes so lack this and i notice it. My mixes sound stacked and not like a 3d sound stage and i want to change this any comments would be welcome thank you.

Last edited:
you can achieve space with reverb .. the best song ive ever heard as far as spacing of vocals.. instruments and everything is blue by yanno kanno or whatever not sure if thats her name but its the closing song of the cowboy bebop series

thank you chills im aware reverb can help but what im talking about goes beyond reverb i actully have some cowboy bebop dvds ill give it a listen

Last edited:
Back