Stereo Rhy Guitar Track question.

ripingitar

I am mixing a tune that my guitar was tracked in Stereo through a Pod XT Pro. Normally In the past ive only mixed mono rhy tracks from a mic'd cabinet and of course panned to taste. The stereo image of course reacts differently when attempting to pan it stays more centered. The stereo image is equivalent to 2 mono tracks panned 100l and 100r ??????? Normally would one simply leave the 2 stereo guitars centered ?? panning doesnt really give me the impact my mono guitars normally have. Or should I convert to mono then pan ??? hmmmmmm ????

I am mixing a tune that my guitar was tracked in Stereo through a Pod XT Pro. Normally In the past ive only mixed mono rhy tracks from a mic'd cabinet and of course panned to taste. The stereo image of course reacts differently when attempting to pan it stays more centered. The stereo image is equivalent to 2 mono tracks panned 100l and 100r ??????? Normally would one simply leave the 2 stereo guitars centered ?? panning doesnt really give me the impact my mono guitars normally have. Or should I convert to mono then pan ??? hmmmmmm ????

That's because with your POD, even though it's stereo, it's still the same performance. Your POD creating stereo output from one mono source. You need two mono sources for that big sound. (I'm assuming that when you track mono & pan 'em, you're playing the part twice--not just copying & pasting.)

I used to love the POD (in headphones, anyway) for the lush stereo delays & chorus effects, etc., but after I got more into recording with an amp & mic, I discover the "thickness" of two separate recordings for a stereo rhythm part. Now, if & when I do use the POD again--I don't use the stereo effect. I build my patch and still play & record it twice. (Then I add effects after the fact if needed). It's the only way to get that big sound.

yes the signal is mono the effects are stereo. Id much rather my 2 rhythm tracks that WERE played separatly be panned to opposite sides. I think Ill try converting the guitars to mono and going to sep sides of the mix rather than being stacked on top of each other on both sides.

That may work, but if you've got any stereo effects in your POD patch, things may get squirrelly if you mix the two sides down to mono. I should've mentioned this the first time around, but when I do this, I only use one out (the left) on my POD. So I don't have to convert a stereo track to mono. I just record two tracks in mono then pan to taste (for me that's usually hard left & hard right.)

Yup...I use a Vox Tonelab and just come out of the mono (left) and track it twice. My pans vary. Depends on what fits.

Back