stereo recording

Dealer

I had two track input - one and two using phantom microphones.
I do a live recording on the md - using mini disc which allows only two tracks. when i playback on the mini disc on a minidisc player , I can hear the sound but it is only on one side of my eaphone.

How can I do a recording that ensures that when I play back on the md player , I can hear the sound on both sides of my earphones.

Is there some settings or the yamaha md8 only record mono sound ? I read thru the manual thru and thru and could not find the answer . Help !

Typically when you record with 2 mic's at the same time you more than like will get whats known as phase cancellation. The waveform between the left and the right signals are aligned such that the peaks on the right channels are coincident with the troughs on the left reducing the power of the signal when combined appearing to be mono. You pretty much have to experiment with mic positions until the problem goes away. If you go into the MIc forum you will find the answers there to ideas on how to avoid phase issues when streo micing. Use the search function with the key words phase cancellation and it should get you on the way. If you don't want to re-mic it, take the direct out on the left channel and plug it into a delay unit, set the delay around 15 to 35 ms and take the output of the delay into the input of another channel, its called an artificial double, and usually creates enough separation for a nice stereo feel.

Good Luck

SoMm

even when i use only one microphone - the sound recorded is on one side of the md when i play back.

Dealer said:
even when i use only one microphone - the sound recorded is on one side of the md when i play back.
Im not sure Im understanding what your trying to do but Ill try to help if I can. The MD8 does have a mono recording ability if thats what your trying to do. There is a 1, 2,4 and 8 track recording mode.
When you only use one mic, and one track on a recording its mono. Mono will pan to the left, to the right and to the center, but not left and right at the same time. If you want stereo you need to use either 2 mic's that are located as such to avoid phase problems, or record the same thing again on a different track. Is the MD recording on 2 channel? I recently blew the op amp on the phantom power on channel 2 which mean I could record using that channel. Make sure the channel is showing activity on the meters.

SoMm

thanks for your help. basically when i record directly using my sharp 722 portable md recorded - i can set it to mono recording which gives 149 minutes of recording- when i play back , i can hear sound from both my earphones.

Using the Yamaha md8 - when i set to 2tr recording which is stereo , using one mircophone - when i play back the minidisc - I can only hear the sound on one side of the earphones -
a) is it that the single track input is mono ?
b) is it that i had pan to either to extreme right or left during my recording of the microphone track ?

Hope anyone can help ?

Single track is mono, but the sharp Md player doesn't do panning so a mono signal is split internal to send music to both sides of the head phone, so the sound should feel likes it in the middle of your head. Multitracks are a different animal, if you want the sound to be like the sharp just keep the pan pots in the middle and you have essentially the same thing.

SoMm

Back