Stereo recording on the DP-02?

JRSIV

JRSIV Music Ltd.
I'm this close to buying a Tascam DP-02 as an upgrade to my demo studio multitrack. I've heard a few times though that you can't record to two tracks from both inputs? True?

The main reason I want the DP-02 is to take some tracks from my Tascam 488mkII and transfer them over to the DP-02 by running a stereo mix of the 488 tracks into the inputs of the DP-02 (Input A-left/Input B-right) to two tracks of the DP-02. This is possible right?

I'd appreciate any info. Just been hearing that only one input can be used at a time. If that's true, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for the new multitrack...

Yes.

running a stereo mix of the 488 tracks into the inputs of the DP-02 (Input A-left/Input B-right) to two tracks of the DP-02. This is possible right?...

Yes. Input A and Input B may be used simultaneously, & assigned to 2 discrete tracks to record 2-tracks simultaneously.

My criticizm of the unit focuses on that you may NOT mix or buss Inputs A and B together and record down to one track.

You may:
Record Input A "or" Input B by itself and route a single input to 2-tracks simultaneously, in bridged-mono.

You may:
Record Input A "and" Input B together and route each input to it's own track, respectively, and record 2-tracks simultaneously (and/or) in "stereo".

You may NOT:
Use Input A and Input B simultaneously and record them both to a single track. (i.e., no front-end mixing of inputs capability, tho' many modern multitrackers have this architectural limitation).

The only other crits I have about the DP-02 is it's 2-track/simul recording limit, tho' not e'one finds that limiting, AND the relatively weak top end gain of the preamps,... NO LESS including a self-induced noise from the power supply in the preamps when at full gain, i.e., a barely discernable high pitched squeal that (unfortunately) is addative as you layer tracks. ALSO, the poorly shielded inline power module creates HF interference on adjacent mics, mixers and other audio equipment.

Good luck, tho'! The DP-02 covers ya' on the basics. Maybe just not as "pristine" in the overal signal paths of the unit, when all is said and done.

HINT: I think Tascam limited the top end gain of the preamps to minimize the self-noise problem.:eek:;)

I haven't noticed any high pitched noises when the preamps are maxed out. I do notice a little bit of self noise though.

My biggest complaint is the very weak preamp, however that can easily be remedied with an external unit.

That's my take on it. A nice portable unit that works well, considering it's limitations. I still prefer my 424 over it in terms of the preamp and simplicity (load tape, arm the tracks, go).;)

Nooo!!!

Thanks Dave. Not being able to buss the inputs to a single track SUCKS! I know these newer DigitalPortaStudio's are aimed at the "one man band", record one thing at a time recordist, but if I want to use two mics to record an acoustic guitar to one track I'll have to use a front end mixer?! That blows. I guess I'll use the 488mkII's mixer as a front end on some stuff. Considering the DP-02 has no way to easily use a compressor, the 488mkII as a front end mixer might be something I have to do a lot.:(

I know some will say "Just use the Tascam 488mkII", but I'm looking for a step up in sound quality. And I'm tired of cleaning heads, demagging, etc...

Thanks again Dave. You truly are the "Guru of All Things Tascam"!:)

Yeah, a front end mixer is the only solution to that dilemma.

At least the 488mkII would make a fairly nice f/e mixer. I've used a 244 to f/e a DP02cf with good results. I think you & I are the only 2 people that this glaring design deficiency bothers. Most (newbies) apparently don't care (or don't know the difference). Coming from a solid "classic" Portastudio background makes the difference of opinion in this matter. It's just an extra consideration (or hassle), but not a show stopper.:eek:;)

Thanx!

At least the 488mkII would make a fairly nice f/e mixer. I've used a 244 to f/e a DP02cf with good results. I think you & I are the only 2 people that this glaring design deficiency bothers. Most (newbies) apparently don't care (or don't know the difference). Coming from a solid "classic" Portastudio background makes the difference of opinion in this matter. It's just an extra consideration (or hassle), but not a show stopper.:eek:;)

Thanx!

Maybe that's why I don't notice it, I've got a M-2516 sitting in front of the DP-02.:D I know, kind of overkill, but that's what makes it fun!:D

That's cool JJ! The 2516 is such a cool piece of Tascam history; a really nice mixer. I'm content knowing the limitations of the DP-02 can be overcome by some simple ingenuity.

I just really like some of the tracks I've done on the 488mkII (drums and bass mainly), mainly because of the analog warmth. But I also want the clarity of a digital recorder for vocals and mixing. I'm digging the idea of a DP-02 demo studio supplemented by the 488mkII...:D

That's cool JJ! The 2516 is such a cool piece of Tascam history; a really nice mixer. I'm content knowing the limitations of the DP-02 can be overcome by some simple ingenuity.

I just really like some of the tracks I've done on the 488mkII (drums and bass mainly), mainly because of the analog warmth. But I also want the clarity of a digital recorder for vocals and mixing. I'm digging the idea of a DP-02 demo studio supplemented by the 488mkII...:D

Analog and digital definitely can work together if you use them for what they are good for. Sounds like you have a good grasp on what works for you. Good luck man!;)

Yeah,...

it's too bad these units need a f/e mixer or preamp boost of any kind, which is kinda sad, but I take it with a grain of salt.:eek:;)

One mitigating factor to low preamp gain is to use really hot condenser mics, then it's almost a break-even proposition. Using SM57's & the like would be problematic unless on high SPL sources, (drums, horns, loud guitar amp, etc). To get really sizzling gain on an SM57 to use as distant vocal, acoustic guitar or room mic is almost a bust on the DP02cf I own. The DP02's preamps just don't have the top end boost on the preamps that I'm used to with any other gear, which in the turnaround is annoying but not a show stopper. YMMV.:eek:;)

Last edited:
Back