Stereo Power Amp choices?

RandyRhoads1981

Hey everybody, I'm in the market for a stereo power amp and I
am having a little trouble finding an amp that is good/descent quality
and also affordable, in the $100-ish price range.
Could somebody shed some light on a few possible choices?
I will be powering a pair of JBL J2045 8ohm monitors.
I also have a pair of JBL 4406's but they might be a little too big
for the Meter bridge on my Tascam M-520 console.
Does the wattage on the speakers affect what amp I can use?

The power requirements of the speakers will dictate your amp power to some extent; also the size of your room.

First throw the J2045 speakers in the garbage so you're not tempted use them. ;) Find a way to use the 4406's. A decent amp in that price range is the Alesis RA-100. It's a great monitor amp, but discontinued and replaced with a series of inferior power amps by Alesis. The RA-100 is well designed, efficient, reliable and well worth the $100.00 or so it goes for on eBay. It puts out 75 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms. Great match for the JBL 4406 and many other speakers in that power range. Another one to look at for that price range is the Hafler TA1600. It puts out 60 watts @ 8 Ohms. There are certainly better amps. but not much at that price point.

Seriously, if you have 4406's (or anything else really) get those 2405's out of your studio! Eek! A monitoring system is arguably the most important component in a studio. Shouldn't' be an afterthought.

I use and old Hafler DH-200 for my main monitors, sounds great and there are plenty turn up second hand.

Cheers
Alan.

I use and old Hafler DH-200 for my main monitors, sounds great and there are plenty turn up second hand.

Cheers
Alan.

Thanks! Looks great.
I use old analog equipment and this would fit
perfectly in my (future) rack.
I just checked them out on ebay and they
aren't too expensive and look like they're built like tanks

Back