Stereo Panning Effects?

Blackthoven

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to create some sort of stereo panning effect with Reaper, or, whether or not there's other software that can achieve this effect!

What I mean by "stereo panning effect" (for lack of a better term) is this: I want to get the sound from a mono audio track to pan back and forth from the the left speaker to the right speaker.

I'm having a hard time trying to elaborate without making it sound more complicated so hopefully that explanation makes at least a little bit of sense.

I tried doing it manually by duplicating the audio track and dedicating one to the left speaker and the other to the right speaker, then fading them in & out of one another, but that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. There must be an easier way! Surely one of Reaper's plug-ins can do something like this?

Thank you!

As Chili said above. (Beat me to it) You can download the Reaper manual for free. There's a wealth of info in there about panning and automation envelopes. Well worth reading up on :thumbs up:

Ahh, thanks a lot Chili & Mr. Clean!

I actually looked through my manual earlier but I didn't really know what I was looking for; I still don't quite know all the terminology. Chapter 16 is under Automation & Envelopes in my manual, I wouldn't have known that was relevant!

Thanks again ^.^

Ahh, thanks a lot Chili & Mr. Clean!

I actually looked through my manual earlier but I didn't really know what I was looking for; I still don't quite know all the terminology. Chapter 16 is under Automation & Envelopes in my manual, I wouldn't have known that was relevant!

Thanks again ^.^

yeah, there's a steep learning curve for sure. Terminology is one of the hurdles.

Good luck!

There are two obvious solutions off the top of my head.

Automate the pan knob or use the JS: LOSER/ppp (ping pong pan) effect. The former being more labor intensive, but giving you a much greater degree of control.

For the automation:
Select your mono track
Hit 'v' to open the envelop track
Click the word "volume" to bring up the envelope list.
Select "Pan"
Shift+click and drag around envelop points.

For the Ping Pong Pan FX
Open the FX dialog on the track
Add JS: LOSER/ppp
Adjust parameters to taste.

Back