stereo mixer vs. 4-bus?

LfO

I am about to start a job that will allow me to actually purchase some equipment - right now I'm running with cheap PC speakers, and running directly from my hardware synth into my PC sound card.

I really want to accomplish 2 things, and am not sure if a single mixer can do both. I want to be able to mix multiple synths/mics via a mixer, and have the mixer go to my sound card input. I am also about to get a pair of decent monitors. I am quite unfamiliar with mixers and monitors, so I don't really understand what I'm reading while shopping. If I got a 4-bus mixer, could I treat it like 2 separate mixers in one box, both taking my instrument/mic inputs and mixing them to the sound card, AND ALSO taking the output from my sound card, and sending it to the monitors?

Am I oversimplying or overcomplicating the issue?

Go to www.mackie.com and download the manual for their 1202 or 1604. They have some great hook up diagrams and will give you a good idea of what all the features are.

Busses are generally used so you can have multiple sub mixes. You can either combine those submixes to the master buss or route them out of the mixer on their own.

Back