Stereo Miking Timbales

At a drummer's request I am going to be creating a magnum opus percussion ensemble to compliment a rock production. However, what I need is advice on stereo miking timbales. The timbales must be recorded in such a way as to accent the rock song's inherent shuffle.

I am also going to be adding wood block, congas, cotton, maracas and in general putting Ricky Martin's percussion to UTTER SHAME.

Any ideas on mics, preamps, mic placement and so on?

Price is no object. If I have to find matched Neumann U47's and drop a STC-1 on the stereo buss to bring the stereo timbale's in line then that's what I'll get.

This must be the most lavish timbale recording EVER!

:D

Cloneboy Studio said:
. The timbales must be recorded in such a way as to accent the rock song's inherent shuffle.

I am also going to be adding wood block, congas, cotton, maracas and in general putting Ricky Martin's percussion to UTTER SHAME.

This must be the most lavish timbale recording EVER!

:D

its almost funny... just closed up for tonight : was just recording timbales:D

hmmm, I'm lost. Your request is almost counterproductive? not sure if thats the right word. i don't see a shuffle/rock tune putting a latin tune in utter shame when percussion is involved. I may be biased however.
don't know the tune per se, but a shuffle? I would like to hear the scratch tracks.
1st and foremost (as you prolly know) make sure its a good set, and tuned good. Is it going to be performed with or without the bells? That could be the breaking point. I find it the hardest to balance the bells vs drums. couple a dynamics on each drum to get snap, and a overhead SDC or LDc depending on the room to get teh overall and bells(thats the norm from what I've seen).Of course you can probably use 2 LDC's. I have not tried that, since I only have 1 414. 2 Sm81's seemed to OK for Sm81's
I personally use a SM81 or 414 for overhead, closer than say drum kit-about 2-4 ft up and out a bit. Been messing round with D2's 421 etc for close drum. Was going to use a Gt44 for overs , but twang mart was out of stock, should be getting it in about 3 days.

Congas, the usual 57 , 414 etc. really depends on the tune ya know.

uhhh whats cotton?

Cloneboy, I'm really interested in your new endevour . I am a latin percussionist 1st and foremost, been dabling at recording for a bit. I'd really like to help you in any way I can. I'm sure I'll probably learn more from you in regards to recording however.

T

I just spoke to the drummer and he insists that we double all the percussion and fill every 32nd note with percussion of some type. Unfortunately, he also wants a solo mix of the percussion production for some reason.

Cotton is the drummer. :)

ahh Cotton is the drummer. thats cool.

Hey at least you should get a double rate on this project no?

T

Back