Stereo Micing instruments ...when to/or not to??

BeBop

When do you stereo mic an instrument and why?? I understand larger instruments may need 2 mics to cover the area (marimba etc) but is there any rule of thumb for stereoing regular instruments??

Thanks,

BB

It depends on how it's supposed to fit in the mix. You might mic a grand piano in mono if it's part of a large work and doesn't have any prominence in the pice, whereas if it's a solo piano, you'd really want it in full stereo.

What can I say after Harvey posted?

.....but I'll try to add something useful.

Something I'm experimenting with right now is double or triple mic'ing acoustic and percussion instruments; the catch is, I'm not particularly going for "stereo micing". For example, I might try to get two mic's on an instrument, but use different types of mics, and in different locations and angles. The result is a recording that doesn't "sit" in the middle of the mix, but for what I'm toying with right now (ambient/new age/unclassified) it's fun.

You get more richness from stereo mic'ing, so as Harvey says you want to be cautious using it in a bigger mix, but if you don't have a lot going on sonically add mic's is a great way to add character and richness to a recording.

-Shaz

Back