stereo input

Trenna

This is probably a "dumb" question, but my computer (ensoniq soundcard) and my laptop (Yamaha Soundcard) both have a single input plug for a stereo plug.

I am trying to record from my stereo LPs but when I record to these soundcards I get a single wave line. I can then copy it to two channels. I have indicated two channels on the recording specifications, etc.

Can I buy a soundcard with two inputs so I will have real stereo, not just same sounds on left and right channels? I want to import it as a wav and then clean it up with Sound Forge and make CD's.

Thanks for any information.

Trenna

Are you using a stereo plug? That's all you should need if the sound card's Line In is actually a stereo jack.

Yes, I am using the stereo plug, with two lines around it? Is that right?
How would I know if the sound card's line in is a stereo jack? (both came standard with system) Are there special soundcards that have stereo inputs?

Thanks

Trenna

You shouldn't have any problems recording stereo with the Ensonic. The line in is a Stereo input. What is the rest of your cabling? You say the plug has 2 rings on it, that indicates it is a stereo plug for sure, unless it's been rewired, or just doesn't work. What's on the other end? 2 RCA mono's?

Your cabling sounds right. This sounds like a software issue. What are you using to record? Did you set it up for stereo or just start recording. Many recording programs default to recording mono tracks. Check the help files.

Slackmaster 2000

Back