Stereo guitar EFX box into 2 tracks on recorder with pans to extreme L & R

Ricklh

Do you record your guitar tracks like this? I have a Digitech RP50 that I plug into my Behringer Xenyx mixer, L & R channels, then from it into my Fostex MR8 MKII onto two tracks with the pans to the extreme left & right and it gives me a nice stereo spread of the guitar on playback. I then overdub two additional tracks using the same method for the lead guitar but I experiment with the position of that instead of having the tracks widely panned. Throw on a bass track (the rhythm track I had already laid down before the guitar tracks) and play it all back through my stereo system (Sherwood receiver & Sony bookshelf speakers) and it sounds pretty solid. Just wondering if I'm on the right track here (it sounds good to me and now I'm looking to improve my playing & production skills).

I would check the mix in mono in order to avoid surprises. If the guitar tone doesn't change dramatically then you're good to go. For the lead guitar I would consider making it mono, either by panning both channels together or using only one, and centered.

I would check the mix in mono in order to avoid surprises. If the guitar tone doesn't change dramatically then you're good to go. For the lead guitar I would consider making it mono, either by panning both channels together or using only one, and centered.

Good advice, thanks.

Back