Stereo Expander

utsman

Hey Mixies,

Just need some input on stereo expanding. I like to use this as a master track effect. It makes my songs , well sound cooler. The thing is it can change a mix quite a bit with regard to the volume of panned instruments. so I need it on while mixing. If I mix first then just add it to the stereo file it doesn't work the same.

Is this going to cause trouble for a mastering engineer when I finally send it to one? I have heard that adding master effects is a bad idea pre -send off to engineer.

UTSMAN

Yes, it will. It also keeps your mix from being mono compatable.

All those things do is turn down the stuff that is panned to the center, but that is what gives a mix it's power.

It messes with the polarity of the left and right channel. It has a cool, 'gee wizz' effect but it really doesn't sound 'good'. You really can't get any more stereo than stereo. You can't pan something wider than all the way.

If you are using it very, very subtley, it's OK. If it changes the mix too much, you are using it too much. Your mastering engineer can do this as well.

Good advice from SillyHat. The best thing you can do for yourself is *not* put that fake widening effect on your tracks before sending it to the mastering engineer. If you really want that effect, then talk it over with the mastering engineer and have it done at that point, but not before.

I think the desire to add effects like that is because there is a feeling that something is lacking in the mix. That it is too narrow. This is a similar situation to people who use BBE or Aural Exciters to add sparkle to tracks that are otherwise a little dull sounding.

The best solution is to get your tracks as wide as possible without messing with the phase like the stereo "enhancers" do. It's really a more solid sound.

Also, when using a stereo widening effect, be *sure* you check your tracks in mono.

I know I'm late but I thought I'd thrown in -

*IF* those things ("Those Things") are being used, I'd almost never ever suggest putting them across the main buss - for the specific reasons SillyHat mentioned. You're sucking out the center and messing with the polarity *of the entire mix* which is generally a really bad idea.

If it's on a group or a stereo pad or something, that's one thing - If the whole mix needs "more space," it probably never had it in the first place.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The mixes sound fine without it, I just have to adjust the levels of a few things accordingly. I probably first dicovered it when I was stoned and listening through headphones. The reason I like it is beacause it makes my already hard panned guitars seem to pan further. Then I would boost the instruments/vocals in the centre to compensate. But alas, after the advice I will get rid of it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

UTSMAN

One trick that is sometimes used is to put the stereo enhancer on a reverb return. That way the reverb gives a greater sense of space, but the track itself hasn't been messed around with.

Back