step up from Cad 179

N_Yeager

Hello- Well i need to get me a pair of mulit pattern mics for misc studio stuff (like i need more mics.) Bassically for room ambient recording and mabey occasionally overheads. Picked up the ECM 8000 for ambience and there OK but i think id rather have something large diaphram with multipe patterns. Is there a 3 pattern mic that would be a step up from the Cad 179? - Cant shell out for a set of 414's at this poitnt, but is there another 3 pattern mic mabey in between the two price/ performance wise. I will get some 414's within the next year or so but i just need something to tide me over.

Thanks!

Natahn

or perhaps.... if i am just getting this for ambience to blend in mabey i should get a stereo mic?

Thanks!

Audio Technica 4050. It's about twice the cost of the M179, and is favored by more than a few here. I think Chessrock is a big fan of them...

Rode NT2000. If I was in Japan, I'd get these in a heart beat (damn Japanese prices!) They're a little more expensive here, but they're great piano mics...

And do you really need your ambience to be stereo? I'm using my cheapies as ambience at the moment...either the ECM8000 or one of my Samson C02s...

And do you really need your ambience to be stereo? I'm using my cheapies as ambience at the moment...either the ECM8000 or one of my Samson C02s...[/QUOTE]

thats a very good question! if my drum overheads are already in stereo does the ambient mic need to be in stereo? will a mono ambient track make the drums seem less "spread"-

I think the 4050 and the 414 are pretty much in the same price bracket. They're both very good workhorse mics to have around a studio -- although I tend to favor the 4050 (just a personal thing).

I'd put the Shure KSM-44 right up there, also, and it might be better than either of them in some respects.

But other than that, I don't think there is anything "in between." The next step down might be the CAD. In certain situations and applications, you might even use the CAD over the more expensive ones. That says a lot about that mic.

For room mic'ing, I always go with a wider pattern. The ECM's are good where the self-noise isn't an issue and you want a flat response. And they're fun to use with a Binaural head. :D I really like the Marshall mxl 603's to brighten things up . . . or the Electrovoice 635's to limit the bandwidth and fit in a mix better.

Back