Stellar RM-5 ribbon mic

drembo

I recently bought a Stellar RM-5. I have not had a chance to really try it out, can't say if I like it yet. Also, it is my first ribbon mic, so I don't have another to which I can compare it. After reading posts here about the Nady ribbons and the Cascade Fat Head, and their ribbons, I emailed Stellar and asked about their claimed ribbon thickness of 2.5 microns. This is the response I recieved:
"At this time I do not have the means to accurately measure dimensions that small.
Peter "
These are the specs that they have for their mic on their E-bay store:
SPECIFICATIONS

Ribbon type & dimensions: pure aluminum 2.5 microns thick, 1.4 inches (35 mm) x .2 inches (5 mm) (LXW)
Polar pattern: Figure 8
Sensitivity: -54dB+-2dB(0dB+1v/Pa)
Frequency response: 30~15 KHz (+-3dB)
Impedance: <=600 Ohms
Recommended load impedance: 3000 Ohms
Max.SPL(1% THD@1000Hz): 148dB

Anyway, just a heads up that they apparently are not confindent that their specs are accurate. I am thinking they may have the 6 micron ribbon that the Nady has. At least the ribbon does not make noise when I turn the mic back and forth, so it isn't too slack.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stellar-RM-5-Ri...7905051QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41466QQcmdZViewItem

I actually think that it may be from the same factory as the Fatheads. The Cascade has the same grill shape and composition as the Stellar, which is, in turn, different than the Nady RSM-4. The specs that Stellar has for the RM-5 is different than the Fathead specs, so I wonder if they are using a cheaper transformer in the Stellar. It might just be the difference between the OEM manufacturer's specs measured in the factory and the specs that Cascade had done.
Not too long ago, I bought a Stellar RM-6, which looks an awful lot like the Cascade X-15 Stereo Ribbon-- something Nady doesn't produce (at least not at this time), albeit with a different direct box.

It looks very similar to one i got recently :

3702694874a5836812657l.jpg

I quite like it, only had a chance to use it recording distorted guitar so far, but sounds much beefier than a dynamic, would probably sound great when used with a dynamic (or condensor) to add a bit more of that high end sparkle

Bear in mind that the problem with the Chinese ribbons is probably one of consistency rather than actual thickness. One is probably 6 micron +/-4 with an average of 6, the other is probably 2 micron +6/-1 with an average of 2.... :D

The actual difference between 2 and 6 microns is so unimaginably small that I wonder if it's of any real significance in this application..........1 micron = 0.000039"..........that's close enough to 4/100,000 of an inch.

Think about it ;)

:cool:

One thing i've found out quickly about the recording world.

If you tell someone there is a difference (even if there isnt), they will hear it.

(ok, not always applicable, but you get where im going :p )

Back