Steinberg instruments in Sonar?

rjt

I've had big trouble in the past running Steinberg Mastering Edition in Cakewalk products (or SF or Syntrillium for that matter). Even though these supposedly run in DX programs (yep, they are not VST) they don't (or at least run well). Steinberg help's message was basically, wow, we tried them in Cakewalk and you're right, they don't run..... end of their help to me.

I currently have the latest FXpansion VST wrapper and the latest version of it from Cakewalk. My system includes Sonar 2.2 and Win 2000. I was pretty interested in the Steinberg Plex, Halion String Ens and/or their D'Cota synth. However, I have no interest if anyone is having problems with them. Sooooo, is anyone running any of these in Sonar.

Thanks in advance.

I had Halion running in Sonar 2.2 once. I didn't care for it, so it's gone now, but it did work. Are you running the VST wrapper each time you install a new instrument? I found out once that I wasn't pointing the wrapper to the right folder. I was assuming that all VST instruments went into the VST folder (usually located in the Steinberg folder), but that wasn't the case. I would make sure the wrapper is finding all the instruments, and I'm sure you know that you need to run it each time a new instrument is installed.

I also had the Steinberg Mastering Edition installed at one time, and those all showed up in my FX list and performed just fine. I really don't care for most of the VST stuff for some reason. I like DirectX FX a lot better. Anyway, I can't put a finger on what your problem could be, as I had no problems with this.

ed

The Mastering Edition Plug ins are DirectX.... about half of them also have a VST version. My problem was that every second or third time I went to use them, they insisted I reinset the CD. I did that, then the message was to reinstall them. I did that several times and eventually that was not enough and the message was that the plug in wouldn't open unless reinstalled... which didn't do anything.

I don't have Plex or the Halion String Ensemble or D"cota....but I didn't want to get one unless I knew they worked (give my previous problems iwth Steinberg). Good to know Halion worked. Thanks

A few months back someone gave me a copy of Stenberg ME (wait before you start hissing). I installed it only so I could check it out to see if I wanted to buy it. I was mostly intrigued by the concept behind Free Filter, which supposedly is able to emulate the eq settings of commercial releases and allow you to apply them to your own music.

Bottom line, I didn't like the package enough to acutally buy it, so I removed it from my system. However it did work fine for me in Sonar.

you might want to try and reinstall it. Maybe something went awry in the first installation.

Back