Steel stud construction

version2

Ok, as an off shoot of another discussion in here, does anyone know any good sources of information on the net for using steel studs in construction. Help guides, howto's, etc.

Also, any experiences with steel stud use would be appreciated. How different is it to use over regular wood? What can you do with it and what CANT you do with it?

The supervisor of the construction crew that built my house told me that when it comes time to finish the basement to use steel studs. You can carry a lot more at one time is one benefit. I think that construction itself would be easier.

Glenn

Steel studs are not recommended for recording studio construction. Wood is superior, because it absorbs sound better than steel, and won't create resonating frequencies like steel can. I know that John Sayer has mentioned to stay away from it, and it makes sense, given the reflective and reverberative sound properties of metal.

A HA!

That's what I thought - but then I read on the SAE site how metal's STC numbers are basically the same as (or better than) wood. The other thread in this forum further addresses the issue.

I took this from the SAE site:

---------------------

2 layers of 16mm (5/8") plasterboard each side of a staggered steel stud - w/ insulation has an STC of 58

Staggered (wood) stud wall construction with 2 layers of 16mm(5/8") Plasterboard on studs of 95x35mm (4 x 11/2") on a 120mm (4 3/4")common base - w/ insulation has an STC of 54.

-----------------------

So even though the STC rating might be attractive, wood is the better material due to it's density?

I've benefitted much from this discussion and many others here.

Thanks!

So even though the STC rating might be attractive, wood is the better material due to it's density?

I've benefitted much from this discussion and many others here.

Thanks! [/B]

I think that is what others are saying, and it makes sense.

In a humorous perspective, steel studs are simply 8' tuning forks :)

Since wood 2x4's are solid, you can chaulk/glue AND screw them down to the flooring and ceiling when building walls. Steel 2x4's are generally cut "C" channel, thus top and bottoms are hollow, and not gluable.

Great discussion so far.

Yes, the SAE site has pretty good numbers for for using steel studs in reference to STC.

BUT...that doesnt say anything about the 'tuning' of the room so to speak. So, while using steel might be almost the same as wood in construction, it doesnt mean it is a good medium for 'sound'.

Metal may not be the best material for 'sound', but the money factor, the basic sameness in the STC numbers, and suitability to my recording environment needs, are convincing me to use metal. I can't help but think that a total of four layers of gyp board over insulated staggered steel studs would do nicely.

I don't remember saying that steel was not advisable. (correct me if I'm wrong.) :) and yes the figures say that it's better in some respects. I've just never seen it used :D

cheers
john

I was hoping you would weigh in on this issue.

I know for commercial construction it's used almost exclusively...price and ease, I think.

My Studio has steel studs and ceiling joists....... Insulation is stuffed in between all studs and joists, so I get no in-wall reverberation or noise, and I haven't had any trouble with rattling noises....

I have two layers of drywall seperated by a 1" space, all over the room, incl. ceiling....

I was originally worried about the drywall rattling on the steel studs, but it's been over a year and haven;t had any problems.....

If it was steel on steel, that might be a different story, but The back of most drywall is paper, so I think that works as an insulator to rattling noise.

Anyways.. Im not saying mine is "the way", but It works.

http://www.voxvendor.com/thestudio.htm

Be Careful..... It's easy to get too caught up in construction... I know people who have spent years building a studio that they have no recordings or output to show for all the work..

Like I did, slap up a decent room with some strategically placed Deadening/refection material and start recording!..

I know homewreckers who have spent $30,000 on a room.... And honestly, now it's just the wifes office.... In fact, I have seen this a few times..

This is home recording....

Ha!

Good post....and the thought can extend to beyond construction materials into gear, instruments, etc... I too know guys with a varitable real-life catalog of crap to 'play' with and yet, their recordings are minimal in quantity and average sounding at best (IMHO.)

Keeping things in perspective is a must.

Thanks!

Back