steel snare wood snare

axeman_ukl

are steel snares more prone to sympathetic vibrations than wood ones ?

just that i've bought a steel snare and am having problems stopping the snare wire sound whenever i hit any other drum and its very noticable in the recordings not on the close mics but in the over heads. is there any way to resolve this or is retern the snare and try another ?

The amount of snare rattle has far more to do with the depth of the snare beds than the shell material. Check to see if your snare shells have them. I'll bet your steel shell either lacks them or has shallower ones.

Sympathetic vibrations can be caused by many things - not only the tuning of the snare drum - but also the tuning of the other drums (as an example, if the high mouted tom (often a 10" or 12" drum) is tuned too close to the snare tuning, it can be a major source of SV.

There have been various threads on this site which discuss various ways to control SV - perhaps a search will be helpful.

I personally prefer wood snares to metal snares. Metal snares can be much harder to tame in the studio (in particular smaller rooms). While metal snares can really cut - in a controlled environment such as a studio, I prefer a more controlled sanre sound (which I feel wood provides).

Back