Steel Guitar sounds

LeeJ

How can I get a good steel guitar sound onto my songs?

Im recording a Country Album but I can't play Steel guitar & I don't know anyone who does. So, is there a midi patch or a effects unit that can turn a normal guitar into a steel guitar??

I have:

Strat - BOSS BE5 - Multitrack
2nd Strat with Midi Pickup - GR30 midi - Multitrack
PC (Cakewalk).

I would be willing to buy any effects processor as long as it has a authentic steel guitar sound.

You could look into buying a sampler and a steel guitar library - don't know if they even make such a library though.

lee. i dont know if this might help you.
but band in a box in the long dim distant past i seem to remember might have such a patch.
its software that lets you build song ideas very quickly.
there is something called a megapack that has god knows how many styles of music. basically , what you do is choose a style ( ithink you can even build your own styles) and as the name implies it lets you quickly build a back up band in software. its very usefull for people who dont have other folks to play with. for example you can build a back up band using many different instruments. in your case eg....drums, base, steel guitar,keyboard etc etc. i just dont know about the depth of steel guitar.
heres the link for biab.
http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm
you might want to email pg tech support, and ask for details on the steel guitar patch and get lots of info.peace.hope this helps.

You might try playing slide (very clean but with a lot of reverb) and useing a volume pedal to achieve the gate effect of steel guitar. you wont get the note bends like a pedal steel but if you keep it as a background instrument it should work fairly well. Oh yeah, an E9 tuning might help too.

I recorded a song recently and wanted to put a scratch track in to be re-recoded later by someone who actually played pedal steel or slide.

I used a "slow gear" patch; basically a slow reacting volume envelope, kind of like the volume pedal thing Dani Pace suggested. You can hear it during the chorus:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1892&alid=-1

The song is called Mary Ann.

Probably not what you're looking for but it's a place to start.

I think you could get there faster with playing slide guitar. It doesn't take long to get the basics down and if you use a real "country" sounding tuning like E6 (E-B-E-G#-C-E, low to high) you can get instant gratification, especially with an electric played lap style. Otherwise...I'm a believer in an instrument speaking with its own voice. If you want steel sound, play a steel. I know Roy Buchanan was famous for his "pedal steel licks" but they would never fool a pedal steel player. They were just cute tricks (and, after all, RB was the king of cute tricks).

Hi,

I made a little fun record, please forgive me ..
The lyrics are just fantasy, don't listen to it, please.
There I played some licks on my guitar, and used a special ... effect.
What do you think of it ? There's a Solo in the middle. Its played too fast, but the sound is quite nice, or ?

I love pedal Steel sound very much :-)

www.stephan-musik.de/CountrySong1a(SteveSledge).mp3

Best regards,
Steve

Gonna be tough..

Steve,

As a long time steel guitar player (and studio owner) I think you will be hard pressed to find anything in the sample world that can convincingly emulate the sound of a steel guitar. You might consider sending a rough guide mix to a real steeler and have him lay a track on your song for you. Lots of great steel players have studios these days and could do this for you. I might be able to help you, or you could check out the steel guitar forum on the net http://steelguitarforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi to find a player. You may even find one close to you. Players from all over the world belong to this forum.

All the best,

Tommy Detamore

www.cherryridgestudio.com

I also play steel guitar (among other things) and have tried various things over the years to get midi to do steel work.

The biggest problem of course is that the ear's clue to a steel guitar is the fact that two note or ten note chords involve some notes sliding up (pedals) or down (knee levers) while other strings drone the same notes...all at the same time. Plus there's the effect of the continually moving volume pedal effects. A dobro or slide guitar ain't gonna simulate this.

The most involved midi setup I came up with a few years back..that worked better than everything else I tried...was this....

At least five sound modules or instances of soft synths....each set to a different midi channel (this is important). In the case of a gm setup, set one of the modules to receive a channel..say midi chnl 4. Set this module to be a clean electric guitar or jazz guitar sound. This is the attack part of the note. Set a second module to the same midi channel...but set it for a nondescript organ sound. This is the sustain part of the sound. Balance the two sounds so that the clean gtr patch is slightly louder than the organ patch. Trigger these from a midi keyboard to test. Or have a couple of duplicate midi tracks of chords that pipe to these channels to trigger.

Now..set two of the other synths to an entirely different midi channel..say channel 5. Same sound scheme as above. These two together will handle "up bending notes.

Finally, set up two more synths to a different channel...perhaps channel 6. Same sound scheme as above. These will be used for your "down" bend notes.

Overdub the various types of bends/drones/single note runs you need...although you'll have to spend some time listening to real steel parts on recordings to get the hand of how notes interact with each other.

With this monstrosity set up...and being a pedal steel player myself, I was able to think and overdub and create midi steel parts that were sorta close to the real thing. Of course, you have to know when to choke notes on sustaining chords while you overdub and bring in bending notes on the alternate channels. A little hard to explain...but any of you steel players will understand.

Bottom line...this thing worked in the context of several songs I did years ago as experiments. But I only tried it a few times because it was a whole lot easier for me to just play a real steel part rather than take the time to set that midi scheme up. Plus, no matter how you cut it, there is nothing that sounds like the real thing. Especially pedal steel guitar.

In fact, if you're a guitar player, it might just be easier to use a volume pedal and simply overdub guitar parts using a similar overdub technique for droning and bending notes.

Back