stealthtech,emeric, & anyone else smarter than me...

Flo' Dolo

Which version of P4 PE do you guys recommend... So far I 've found 3 versions, and don't know which to get.

Any recommendations for dual-head video cards?

Anyone know anything about SOYO boards?

I plan on using Sonar & the sonic foundry stuff...

thanks guys...

diendolo

I haven't used any of the P4PE series yet, but which model you may want depends on what features you require.

One has raid, another has firewire, serial ATA, RAID, LAN onboard etc.

Firewire might be handy, RAID isn't necessarily worthwhile for multitracking audio, although I've been considering it for a backup/redundant setup. Serial ATA isn't quite mainstream yet, IDE drives are fast enough anyway.

All a question as to whether you want to pay for extra features you may not use or ever need.

Matrox make some good dual head cards. Microstar finally got around to making one, it's decent as well.

Not a fan of SOYO, I know I've replaced a few. They are somewhat of an obscure manufacturer, distribution is limited, at least in these parts.

Define what you need the machine to do and maybe I can offer some suggestions.

I use the P4PE/SATA/L
As Emeric stated SATA is serial ATA which is not quite up to its full potential yet but I got it for the future.
L is for onboard LAN which I use for my Cable modem connection {CAT5 cable} this is not needed for a dialup connection to the internet.
I did not get the firewire as I have no use for it, but if you get an audio interface with firewire connects it would be a +.
I wouldn't own a SOYO.
I use a N-Vidia 32 bit graphics card for graphics programs but reduce to 16 bit when recording because 32 bit graphics eat CPU resources and have been known to conflict with your recording program.

I have the Matrox Millenium dual header card and 2-17" monitors.
Works great.

I double on the matrox G550. Just have one for a couple of weeks. Old card but excellent for DAW use.

Stealthtech: is the 16bit vs. 32b still an issue ? I thought newer cpu's and XP made that an obsolete tweak ????

Anyone on this subject ??

Herwig

Just trying to build a "modern" machine for DAW use. Plan on using Sonar as my primary software and doing all processing via plugs. I've got some outboard gear, but I'm gonna use it with another box. 24-32 tracks of audio with fx/processing, though I generally don't fiddle with sound too much once it's recorded if I can help it. The ability for dynamics all the way across, for sure.

The 2nd boot drive will be for desktop video - premiere, after effects, boris fx, and so on. I'm kinda curios to see what Vegas does - for some strange reason, I'm hankering to dig into some new software. You folks familiar with vegas? Is it the same as sonar plus non-linear editing capabilities? Hmmm... Maybe I should look for a Vegas user group.

Oh, does sonar like multi-proc. systems? If not, maybe I'm stuck with no desktop vid on that box - which is cool, but I just thought I'd try a few projects on it...

I'm interested in TDIF, but I guess I can add the TDIF card from m-audio when/if I get a board that can handle it. Firewire would be interesting, but again, on the PC end, I'm in the dark...

And what about the not-too-distant future? Is SATA an option worth considering?

thansk again.

diendolo

Back