Stayin' Alive

Meshuggah

I recorded my friend's cover band yesterday. Finally a band with good intsruments and the ability to play them..
I set up my rig outside their (very nice) rehearsal room, and pressed the red button.

After we got drums, bass and guitar for four songs down, other bands started to show up, and the rest of the recording were done with bands rehearsing all over the place.. damn that sucked.

This is an early mix of Stayin Alive I've done today, tho I'll take break since I have a cold comin, and I don't wanna make anything "final" in this condition.

SO.. here's the early mix..

http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/mp3/ stayin mix1.mp3

I only got the last 19 seconds of the song on that download. :eek:

How did you record it?

Oh damn.. my webspace was full.. I'm uploading it again...

It's all Mackie -> HD24 except the lead vocals, which are dbx576 -> HD24.

The arrangement could use quite a bit of mid-punch...

The phrasing on the lead vocal is a bit "iffy"... sounds rushed in quite a few places and behind the beat in others.

I like the horn parts....... the melodic wah gtr was a bit too prominent in many spots and I would pan it off to the left somewhat for better balance... kick and bass could be tighter, especially for that style of music.

Blue Bear Sound said:
The arrangement could use quite a bit of mid-punch...

The phrasing on the lead vocal is a bit "iffy"... sounds rushed in quite a few places and behind the beat in others.

I like the horn parts....... the melodic wah gtr was a bit too prominent in many spots and I would pan it off to the left somewhat for better balance... kick and bass could be tighter, especially for that style of music.

Thx a lot Bruce! I'll sure have this in mind while working further on it. :)

Sounds great to me nice recording job. I guess you fixed the previous mentioned problems because I did not hear them. Then again my ears are not the best.

Peace
Bill

hey M.,
....Im listening here at work, so im not gonna be a big help on mix..... ....but from here your recording SMOKES! Very nice horns!! I cant really find a bitch anywhere re: the instrumental tracks....... very nice!! The vocs however drive me nuts:D I dont care for that chics voice that's doing the lead vocs. (Im assuming thats a chic:confused: ) The backgrounds sound nice and full.... Its not a recording issue. Im just not liking the chic too much. It sounds like a BeeGees cabaret. ....she over annunciates (sp?). Its tough doing covers like this because you cant avoid the comparison..... ...and i want Barry G:D
Very nice work on your part though...... Very nice!!
gw/5

Hahaha, I was looking at your name (and the country you're coming from) and I was expecting full-on metal! (I love Meshuggah btw):D

Sounds great, the mix I mean.

The band plays a little lifeless, the chick - or 'chic', as Guernica likes to spell it - in particular. I know you probably can't do anything about this, but I'm going to say it anyway ;) You gotta screeeeeeeeam that chorus, man. It sounds like

ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' alive

where it should be like

AH, AH, AH, AH, STAYIN' ALIVE!

And I don't like her timing/prasing. It sounds.....errrrrr........too white! Every note that should be ahead of the beat is on the beat. By doing that, the groove is lost.

Anyway, great job on recording this!

the mix is great, but the singer sounds like one the girls from ABBA, wich I like but don't think that fits this kinda tune(she's not funky at all)

cheers

nice job on the recording for the most part.. only preference would have been a bass drum.. I can not hear one.. the bass provides a good thump, but some bass drum would be cool..

actually, the whole mix is almost too maxxed out or limited.. L1 or whatever.. It started to distort on the louder chorus at the end..

It's a nice recording.

I guess it seems wierd hearing a girl sing this instead of a Bee Gee who sounds like a girl!:D

The horns are recorded pretty good. I think Blue Bear is correct with the mids thing. There just seems to be a total High/Low presence, missing mids (especially in the vox)

Take care of that cold!

Joel

Re: The Vocals

Guys, remember, this is a cover band not a Bee Gees tribute. For a cover band that has to do a "ton" of different styles I think this kind of singer is perfect. I'm sure in thie local club scene these guys/gals put on a great show. Slight mix issues like other's have said but this band is really good! Congrats!

homeuser said:
For a cover band that has to do a "ton" of different styles I think this kind of singer is perfect.
Maybe so, but she still has to work on her phrasing..... it's very inconsistent and the groove gets lost!

Thanks all for listening.

I think Bruce summed up the mix issues pretty well.

I can't do much about the bands performance. Lead vox, backing vox and horns are all first takes (on all four songs recorded). Our schedule were too tight, and with two rock bands rehearsing in the next rooms, there wasn't much of a control room environment left. We decided that unless there were any major mistakes, we should keep the first takes. They weren't too content with their perfomence, but decided to keep them due to the circumstances.

So.. now it's all mixing, and while I feel like most of you do about the vocals, there aint nuthin' I can do about it. :(

Thx for listening guys. :)

It's now mix2... tried to add some body to the bass, and make it go better with the kick.. guitar is less panned, and a bit brighter.

sounds really good! I don't recall the orginal mix, but the snare seems to be a little low in the mix, and it has a bit too much room sound to it. I know it's probably impossible to change that now...

anyway, this really sounds good!

Al

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man...no time to...

Oh hi...ahh...sorry bout that....

Sounds great! The singer needs to loosen up. She's enunciating to articulately to be natural for this song. While she has a good voice and good pitch, she sounds like a tourist in this song.

Other than that, this is an excellent recording. I'd work a little on the snare sound if possible. Maybe something a bit more present there, some punch.

Very nice!

Back