static shock to computer chasis O.K.?

Yasoo

Is a static shock (built up from fricton in low humidiy - like your feed rubbing on the carpet) from your finger to the computer case/chasis O.K.? I know for some of the components (eg. network card, hard drive, soundcard, etc.) the instructions for installation say to touch a ground before handling, but what about when then are in the computer and you touch the computer and get that little shock?

As long as the computer still works, don't worry about it. A discharge to the chassis or case shouldn't harm any components. In fact, computer techs will ground themselves to the case in order to avoid damaging components.

you could be having problem at your power source... I had that problem with my mixer, and it turned out that once of my multi-plug adaptor was causing it. I throwed the adaptor away and problem solved....

you might once to try using another power source too....

Just be careful. Discharge the static first, as I didn't once, and somehow fried the power supply. Have opened up cases hundreds of times, but once...Luckily it was my own pc, so noone got pissed.

Back