Static interference issues while recording videos with Logitech 9000 Pro and CO1U

ryanhostetler

I recently purchased a Samson CO1U USB microphone. I am using it, along with my Logitech 9000 Pro webcam, to record videos of myself playing banjo and guitar on my computer. The sound is fairly good for the first twenty or thirty seconds and then it begins to click and pop. What is the problem? I have ordered a new sound card, although it has not arrived yet. I am currently running on a Realtek AC97 sound card which has been having issues anyway and probably needs to be replaced. I am not looking for studio quality recording; I would just like to make some high-quality , or at least passable, audio recordings.

I have tried the following to no avail:
-Turned off cell phones nearby
-Disconnected any electronics near the computer except the monitor and the tower, which are both grounded
-Put my foot on the machine while playing to try to ground it
-Opened the tower and cleaned it out moving wires away from the motherboard
-Tried recording with just the mic thru Windows and I get static (although constant static which sounds different)

Here is a sample video: YouTube - Samson CO1U USB microphone audio problems with banjo - New sound card?

How much RAM do you have installed?

"Just the mic through Windows" what does that mean? What software are you using for audio and video capture?

Other things contributing could be screensavers, anti-virus software, and anything else that uses resources. Turn all that stuff off when recording.

I use the Logitech Webcam Software for audio and video, although I'd be super open to trying something else, although I have no idea what that would be.

Try maxing out your virtual RAM.

Another thing would be to switch over to ASIO drivers. The Realtek may not support that.

You might want to try a different software. I don't do video and audio together myself so my experience is pretty limited. One problem may be trying to use two USB devices at once. Maybe lowering the resolution on the webcam would help some too by freeing up USB resources.

CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software

I'm not sure what virtual RAM is, but I will look into it.

I'm not going to fuss about the drivers for the moment, because I will be installing a new sound card in the next couple of days.

I was worried at first that I was overloading my RAM because of the two devices as well. Although after I changed the video resolution to the smallest available and the quality to the poorest available, the same thing happened. The problems always start at almost exactly thirty seconds in (which almost makes me think it's the sound of a fan or the hard drive or something). I also downgraded the audio quality and, again, the same problem persisted.

I just tested the mic with the Cakewalk Sonar 6 software that comes with the mic. It seems to work perfectly. I guess there is some sort of issue with the Logitech software. Perhaps it is the added video bogging down the RAM? or the sound card? Do sound cards (not the onboard kind) have their own RAM? It doesn't make any sense to me that a lack of RAM would cause this static popping noise, especially if it doesn't do that on the other software. It also seems very peculiar to me that the sound problems occur at exactly the same thirty second mark on every recording. ????

Last edited:
I improved my virtual RAM and it didn't make any difference. I am really surprised by the difference in sound quality between the Sonar 6 software and the Logitech software. If I could get the Sonar quality on the video software, all of my problems would be solved.

Back