Static charges on an electric guitar

roadwarrior

I have a fairly new Brian Moore I91-13 electric guitar. It incorporates 2 humbuckers and a central single coil pickup. It also has the 13 pin output on board with Piezo pickup built into the bridge. I've found that when using the electric guitar only (not on the Piezo ouput nor the Roland output) there is an annoying static charge clicking noise produced by using a pick to play with. Strangely enough if I strum across the base of the neck there is NO clicking static charge, ONLY when I play over the area of the pickups. I do not think it is the pickups picking up the clicking of the pick crossing the strings, but rather if I actually just take the pick and go across a string laterally, (even the unwound ones like the G string) it produces a static clicking noise just like when you move a blanket up from another in a dry climate causing static electricity. What the HECK is this? Can it be done away with? Nobody I've spoken to has a clue including the manufacturer and a local luthier. They of course have not actually seen the instrument, but it makes it unusable for recording the electric guitar.....what a drag..........

Did you try sloowly touching the string by the pick? If it is static charge it should be there allways, no matter how fast you play/pick.

roadwarrior said:
I have a fairly new Brian Moore I91-13 electric guitar. It incorporates 2 humbuckers and a central single coil pickup. It also has the 13 pin output on board with Piezo pickup built into the bridge. I've found that when using the electric guitar only (not on the Piezo ouput nor the Roland output) there is an annoying static charge clicking noise produced by using a pick to play with. Strangely enough if I strum across the base of the neck there is NO clicking static charge, ONLY when I play over the area of the pickups. I do not think it is the pickups picking up the clicking of the pick crossing the strings, but rather if I actually just take the pick and go across a string laterally, (even the unwound ones like the G string) it produces a static clicking noise just like when you move a blanket up from another in a dry climate causing static electricity. What the HECK is this? Can it be done away with? Nobody I've spoken to has a clue including the manufacturer and a local luthier. They of course have not actually seen the instrument, but it makes it unusable for recording the electric guitar.....what a drag..........

I don't know what you have there, but since the guitar is grounded through the shield, it's almost certainly nothing to do with static electricity.

Back