Stated Testing out the DMP3

Rev E

Testing out the DMP3

Just wanted to let you guys know that I think the DMP3 is killer so far. I checked it out over the weekend with male vocals (me). I really, really, really like this pre. Especially given the $119 price this thing is killer!

In my tests, I sung Amazing Grace into my Studio Projects C1 and my Marshall (MXL) V69 Tube mic. I really like what the DMP3 does to a signal. I compared the DMP3 to my Studio Projects VTB-1.

Here are my preliminary observations. Please note, these results are still preliminary. I only tested it out on my voice. What I can say is that compared to the VTB-1, the DMP3 is more "forward" sounding. I've heard this description for the RNP, but I thought the same about the DMP3. The high end is very, very clear compared to the VTB-1. The DMP3 is a very clean preamp that is not sterile. In now way am I suggesting that the VTB-1 is a slouch. I really like my VTB-1 as well for different reasons. The tube function is very nice (particularly at its price point). It's a slightly "dirtier" preamp in this regard. However, in solid state its clean, just not as "up front" as the DMP3. The high end is noticeably less "in your face" compared to the DMP3. Harvey Gerst described the RNP sound as having a blanket lifted of the signal, compared to the VTB-1. I think that I can make the same analogy with the DMP3 to the VTB-1. It doesn't seem like the DMP3 is boosting the highs ... it's more like the highs are exposed without being sent through electronics that colors them (sometimes coloring is good). I suppose this is what people normally describe as "straight wire gain."

I can't say enough that I really dug this pre on the admittedly limited record session that I tested it on. Most of all, I'm really excited about the combination of these two pres for my future recordings. I've actually got a couple sessions coming up that I'll be able to use the DMP3/VTB-1 combination to great success.

I want to do some more testing comparing the DMP3 to the VTB-1 and my Mackie VLZ Pro pres in the future. I also want to try some other sources, female vocals, instruments, using the pre on several tracks, etc.

Just wanted to spread the word. I'm sure it's not new, but I just had to share it.

Es.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Rev. If you haven't heard, I went and got one for the same price at my local GC. Now I need your help, dude.

If I was running my mics through my mixer before and now want to run them through the DMP3, do i send the outs from the DMP3 back to a channel in the mixer? And should I use balanced cables?

that's all. i'm anxious to hear the difference.

kt

For the absolute cleanest signal you should use balanced cables and send it straight to the recording medium or maybe through a compressor first. If your board is decend then you can probably do ok sending it to the board first and using a direct out or something.

Balanced lines are best if whatever you're sending it to has balanced inputs.

Jeremy

don't send them thru your board thats defeating the purpose...unless u like the combination of the board pre's and the standalone pre's combined

Re: Testing out the DMP3

Rev E said:
I want to do some more testing comparing the DMP3 to the VTB-1 and my Mackie VLZ Pro pres in the future. I also want to try some other sources, female vocals, instruments, using the pre on several tracks, etc.
Thanks, Rev B.. I'm curious about how it compares to the Mackie...

Me Too!

I was considering getting 4 channels of dmp3 for my drums if they are any better than my mackie vlz pro pres.

Please let us know your results.
I have a RNP and it is great! It would be nice to get 4 more channels for half the price of one RNP.

Re: Re: Testing out the DMP3

Flatpicker said:
Thanks, Rev B.. I'm curious about how it compares to the Mackie...

I'll be doing some more testing sometime this week or weekend. I'll keep you guys posted as to how the DMP3 sounds to the Mackie and VTB-1.

Have you guys gotten DMP3's that are loud as hell? Mine have so much gain that when i miked a marshall cab (not at high volume) i had to turn the gain ALL the way down and my soundcard inputs STILL clippped!!!!!!!!

Re: Yo Rev

Originally posted by Frusciante_Fan Can you post some audio samples of the DMP3 and the VTB-1??

You just know thats the only way to really let people know.

I'd be happy to, however it won't be until after the weekend due to my busy week schedule and the fact that my tests last week were done at 24 bit/88.2 kHz. That is, I need to slim the files down in order to post 'em and make mp3 out of them.

Thansk Rev E. Your tests match my ear. I've been very happy with my DMP3's, except for the occassional overly hot interaction with a mic.

Hey ScienceOne, I've got two DMP3's and all 4 channels have the same tendency on certain mics. I've posted the question before and the only feedback I've gotten is that you need a line pad for those mics that feed too hot.

tmix, I use the DMP3 for my drum overheads. Great interaction with Octava mc012's. I tend toward an RNP and Joe Meek for the kick and snare mics. Little different flavor + I have run into problems with the feed being too hot when close micing these through the DMP3. Got to find some good line pads!

Thanks!

That's what I need to hear!

I have an RNP as well, but would like like something better than my mackie vlz pres to run additional channels through.

Do you think the DMP-3 has more headroom than the Mackies?

I don't think the DMP3 will have as much headroom as the mackie's as it wouldn't be clipping on hot mic signals like some are saying? Is my thinking correct, does thae fact that it needs the gain turning right down inply it has not enough headroom for certain mics and instruments?

Mr. Funk, that's what's a little confusing about the DMP3. The pre's internal meters aren't clipping, but the signal going into my Korg with the Korg pre's on '0' comes in too hot. I often have to turn the DMP3 almost to '0' to keep the Korg from clipping.

I'm just guessing about the hot signal, but maybe its one of those-10, +4 situations. I have the same issue running my DMP3 into my digital interface. I think the DMP3 might be a +4 output and my interface is a -10. Thus, a mismatch. I just watch the meters in my DAW and have no problems. However, 0db on the DMP3 meter is way too hot for my digital interface.

I'll see if I can check the specs on the DMP3 and see.

Well, the manual doesn't specify. It does mention that you should go by the meters in your DAW and not the DMP3 meters if you are recording to a soundcard. It also mentions that some soundcards have a trim feature. If you have that, run a test tone at 0db into the DMP3--get the meter to read at 0db and calibrate your soundcard so your DAW meters also read 0db.

The manual states that the preamp can interface with both balanced +4 devices and unbalanced -10 devices. Thats as much as I could find.

Hey Fellas . . .

If your DMP3 is running way too hot at the input, then you need to hit the Hi/Lo Gain Range button, located directly to the right of the clip light.

Then your signal will probably be way too low, :D but don't worry as that's just one of the minor quarky things the dmp3 is kind of infamous for.

It's better to engage the switch and have to crank it way up than to do it the other way and have your signal clipping on you.

Back