Starting the recording right where you select it

Spitz

My problem is that when I want to record a new track at the end of the song, I have to sit through the whole song till I get to that part where I want to start recording that track. Is there a way to start recording right where you select it? I know it's possible because it used to be like that when I started using the program. Now it won't work like that :'(.

Your help is very much appreciated.

:)

Unless something unusual is going on, it's pretty easy. On the new track, just place the cursor where you would like the recording to start, arm the track, and hit record. If you do this, the track will begin right there.

I ran into this problem too! I don't know why or how it happened. One day it recorded right where I put the cursor, the next it didn't and it hasn't since (almost a year ago!). I still don't have a solution to the problem but to get around it, I usually zoom into the multitrack session so you're on a smaller time-scale. Then, if you drag the location bar (usually on top of the wavs) so that the left side of the screen is where you want to start, then hit record, it should start recording from the left side of the screen.

Yeah, I totally hear you orion. Yesterday I managed to get it to start recording where I selected the cursor because i clicked a bunch of buttons on top (namely snap-enabling buttons) and it would record exactly where I set it to start. But then, I saved and came back later and the problem was there again. I tried pressing the buttons on the top like last time, but no luck.

It's really annoying to have to sit through the whole recording. It would save me a LOT of time and patience (and will to keep recording) if I could just turn this problem around.

Anyone?

(Aaron, that's what I've been trying to do, but I'm having no luck :( Thanks for your input though!)

This is what I do if I want to add another track to an existing song:

Insert the song into the multitrack (Track 1).

*Open "Edit", then "Insert Blank Wave". This should appear in the multitrack as Track 2.

Arm Track 2 to record.

Highlight an area in Track 2 that is close to where you'd like to add the extra part to Track 1, and extend that highlight on out for a few minutes, or at least long enough to contain the new part you want to add.

Hit the "loop" button. This is important!

Hit record, and the cursor will begin from the beginning of the looped point. Record the part you want, and then stop recording. Hopefully, you extended the highlighted area out far enough to contain the new part you want. Otherwise, it'll loop back around and record over everything from the beginning!

*You don't REALLY need to insert a blank wave - it'll work just fine if you just highlight the area you're going to record in - but it makes things easier should you happen to want to add something in ahead of the part you're puting in now. If you decide not to insert a blank wav, be sure you save the session. If you don't insert a blank wav, accidentally right-clicking on the added part and moving your cursor will shift the whole wav out of synch with Track 1, and you'll have a tough time lining it up again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back