Starting studio, do you have opinions?

junk e-mail

I'm starting a small home studio. I'm thinking of getting a Korg D-16 digital recorder and a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer. I already have a good computer editor so I figure if I want more detailed track editing, I can record a track onto my computer and edit, then put it back into the D-16. And I'd also buy an bigger hard drive so as to allow for more recording time. Any opinions on improvements or anything else I'd need?

If you're planning to record and edit using the computer, why bring the D-16 into the picture, and vice versa? Why not spend the money instead on two of the best mics you can afford?

Big hard drive good. Big RAM too.

Ha Ha! you must have confused me with somoene who has money. All that computer stuff will cost me 5000$+ and that's too much, not to mention computer crashes, software compatibility problems, all that shit. Plus you can't move a computer studio around. For less than 3000$ I'll get digital 16 track, with a more flexible recording setup, to get all those stoned jams on tracks.

Wow!!! It is too bad that you are being closed minded about a HD recording system like was suggested. True, Pro Tools may be a bit spendy, but, I smaller scale setup would be in the affordable range.

I tell you though, that Korg system cannot touch the 24 bit converters on my $450 dollar sound card. And, my system never crashes. If I felt so inclined, it would not be any harder taking my computer with me to another location for recording than a multi track machine.

Too bad. But if a fixed converter, very limited recording system is what you are after, I would look into some ADAT XT-20's instead of the Korg unit. The 20 bit converters on the XT-20 sound really nice.

Ed

Ed

I don't care! I'm gonna do what I want to do! No but seriously, tell me more of this HD recording setup, i'm all for ideas, I just thought that it wouldn't be too bad with the korg system i've heard good things about it.

I have an Event Gina that I am fairly happy with. Costed me like $400 new. Working with the computer is so much easier in my opinion. It gives you so much more flexibility. If I had the money I would definately look into Pro Tools, I hear tons of good things about em.

Hey Ed - Where is your studio located in Portland. Im just across the river in Vancouver.

You think if I could afford a pro tools system that I would buy a portable track machine? I wouldn't. But i've done the math. Even a basic computer setup, running like cakewalk or something would cost more. I'm just trying to get my money's worth. I'm 16 years old. I figure I could start off with sumpin' simple and then upgrade when tings get cheap.

Dude, i was in your same situation about a year ago. Im just a little older than you, and i understand the your financial situation perfectly. I bought an Event Gina for $400, and i really dont have any complaints. My very first piece of equipment I bought was a Yamaha MTX 4 track, and the Gina totally kicks that things ass. I would suggest looking at a Gina or a Layla. You can get em pretty cheap now and they arent bad at all for the money.

I won't be able to use a soundcard if it's not hooked up to anything. I'd need a computer, i'd need the software, i'd need a small mixer, that's alot of $$$$$$$$$

You said in your first post you have a good computer editor and a computer. If you already have these things, buy some HD recording card and a preamp (Art Tube MP?) instead of a mixer. You can get out for reasonably cheap.

I'm sorry I said the wrong thing. My computer belongs to the entire family. I would never be able to run a full blown recording program on it. I would just be able to import tracks, edit them, and send them back into the digital recorder.

Ah. OK, so the computers not yours. That changes things. Im not sure what to tell you then, I can just recommend what I have used and I record using the HD on my computer. Good luck finding the right setup.

Hey Man!
I don't know where your are getting your info, BUT you can get an Alesis studio pack for aprox 1995.00 that come with a LX20 and a mixer. To top it all off they sound really good although the nano verb is crap. OR with the continuing falling prices in the computer market you can build a computer for about $1400.00 and that would inculde an Aark 20/20 interface. And that gives you 8 in and 8 out. My recording computer with the Aark cost me 1400.00 U.S. with a 10 gig hard drive and a 20 gig D: with 128 meg of SDram. My Behringer 2642 mixer only cost me $500.00 and works great with my computer.

So my friend? if you don't want to at least concider our advice you should not ask for it. ALSO you should take another look at your math before you dismiss us. What I have stated above is the cold hard facts and I have the reciepts to prove it. I also have the gear.

The one thing we all hate here is a smart ass that turns in to a dumb ass. :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Grizzly (edited 03-08-2000).]

Ed will recognize me as a smart/dumbass!

Grizzly,
You got all that for 1400. That's pretty slick. I've been looking at the stand alone boxes for quite some time, and none of them seems to fit the bill. This sounds like good news! I have a family computer w/ 466 celeron, which I dare not try to dedicate to recording (Its better suited to typing my grad english papers and making a fool of myself on this bb). What bullshit computer junk do you forego if you're going to use it strictly for recording? Is a mixer or pre necessary with the Aark? Outboard fx or plug-ins? A comment on mobility of HD: it is easier to take the computer to the site than to bring the drums to the computer.
Thanks a million, I have a new direction to pursue!

Hey Junk-e

A lot of our friends south of the border (and I don't mean Mexico) don't realize we pay a bit more up here.(shipping across the tundra costs big-time) However, check out www.microbytes.com for in-Montreal prices, they're about the cheapest aroun.

But you're gonna have to do a lot more research on this BBS (in both Newbies and Computers & Soundcards) to find options.

You can get cheap, wonderful multi-trak programs like n-Tracks (CAN EVEN DOWNLOAD free DEMO VERSIONS TO TRY) oops cap-lock slip Pentium II s are getting cheaper, Celerons .... What is your budget.

Ive been on the bbs for 2 months now, have orderd my sound card $$$$ form the states, but I'm STILL researching options like Win98 vs. NT, IDE vs SCSI (Yes, Slack, IDE rules for the price/use ratio, I Am Converted, ...well I was an athiest), now I'm trying to figure out what the hell RAID-0 does and will it help me. Also what motherboard to buy if I want to upgrade.

Read, read, read, it'll start to make sense

G'luck

Fenderbender

Hey Junk-e

A lot of our friends south of the border (and I don't mean Mexico) don't realize we pay a bit more up here.(shipping across the tundra costs big-time) However, check out www.microbytes.com for in-Montreal prices, they're about the cheapest aroun.

But you're gonna have to do a lot more research on this BBS (in both Newbies and Computers & Soundcards) to find options.

You can get cheap, wonderful multi-trak programs like n-Tracks (CAN EVEN DOWNLOAD free DEMO VERSIONS TO TRY) oops cap-lock slip Pentium II s are getting cheaper, Celerons .... What is your budget.

Ive been on the bbs for 2 months now, have orderd my sound card $$$$ form the states, but I'm STILL researching options like Win98 vs. NT, IDE vs SCSI (Yes, Slack, IDE rules for the price/use ratio, I Am Converted, ...well I was an athiest), now I'm trying to figure out what the hell RAID-0 does and will it help me. Also what motherboard to buy if I want to upgrade.

Read, read, read, it'll start to make sense

G'luck

Fenderbender

Hey junk e-mail, why don't you just install another hard drive (a fast large one) into your existing computer system and use a double boot system. You can keep all your music sofware and files on your music dedicated drive and your family can continue using the existing drive. And it'll only cost you $200-300. While you're at it, slip another 128 mb of PC RAM in there.

Also, you can get good sound from a SoundBlaster Live Value for around $50-60, and there are several very high quality soundcards for around $200. You don't need to spend $400.

Finally, forget about Pro Tools. You don't need it. Anything from N-Tracks to Cubase or Cakewalk will do just fine.

Back