Starting over - suggestions needed

JHudson

I am just getting into more home recording, and I am giong to start at ground zero again. I am very happy with Pro Tools, and I am reasonably familiar with it but here is my question: I am not looking to rival any pro studio, I just want to get as clean as I can and as quiet as I can on what I have. I am using windows 7 with plenty of "horsepower" on the pc. What would be the best bang for the buck for a budget of around $750.00? I already have ProTools MP9, so if I can find a great M Audio Pre Amp, I would be well pleased, if not, I am looking to purchase pro tools 9 and then a good pre amp to go with it. I only need 2 inputs, no need for a huge setup. Thanks!

I am just getting into more home recording, and I am giong to start at ground zero again. I am very happy with Pro Tools, and I am reasonably familiar with it but here is my question: I am not looking to rival any pro studio, I just want to get as clean as I can and as quiet as I can on what I have. I am using windows 7 with plenty of "horsepower" on the pc. What would be the best bang for the buck for a budget of around $750.00? I already have ProTools MP9, so if I can find a great M Audio Pre Amp, I would be well pleased, if not, I am looking to purchase pro tools 9 and then a good pre amp to go with it. I only need 2 inputs, no need for a huge setup. Thanks!

Apogee Duet 2, Sound Devices USBPre 2, RME Babyface. I have a USBPre 2 and absolutely love it. Very robust, no software configuration, no pigtail, HUGE LED meters, can be used standalone as a field mixer. Babyface does MIDI if that's important.

Apogee only works with Mac, USBPre 2 with everything (including iPad), Babyface with Mac and Windows.

All three have kickass pres and converters. I can't speak to the Duet 2 or the Babyface but the USBPre 2 will accommodate external pres via TRS, coaxial S/PDIF, or TOSLINK.

Last edited:
Back