Starting my personal recording

Ced

Still a Newbie
Hello!
I'm new to this site! :)

Ok let's start with my situation. I went to a studio to record my band and the technician was using Cubase SX and aaaall his console, mixing, input, mics stuff.. so I know pretty well how the recording process work!

So now I start a acoustic solo project (acoustic guitar & vocal) and I want to record it on my own and add electronical beat too. So I have Cubase SX and Reason to proceed. I just bought good headphones too. ;)

I record a draft of my song with Cubase and I'm pretty use to it. I started with Reason and I think that with some tests I will get it better pretty soon.

So for now I recorded my songs with a little Computer microphone, I can't deny it doesn't sound as good as a studio recording but it worked pretty well for that cheap kind of microphone!!

I just want to know what would I need to get the best of my sound ?????
I have in my mind to buy a Shure SM-57 to record the guitar and the vocal better but I don't know if I need something else (mixer, console, input).
My computer is 2.8Ghz, 1Go RAM with an integrated sound card.

What would I need else ??? :confused:

P.S. I am not too rich so if you have cheap way but it gets a good sound I would be really happy!!!! :D

For people to give you better information, your budget is needed.

There are a million ways to start recording, but you may want to consider one of two methods:

1. Mixerless: This requires an audio interface with built in I/O and preamps. A really good deal right now is: [url="http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/FirePod_w__free_Cascade_Microphones_and_BPA_cables-p-22446.html']Firepod + 3 Mics + Shock Mount + Cords[/url]

I just bought it, because it seems for beginning a studio this is a good piece of equipment to start with.

2. Mixer/Soundcard: You could also buy a sound card (the one on your computer isn't really built for recording), and then a mixer for the I/O. Since I did not go this approach, I can't help too much. It seems many people go M-Audio, so check there site out.

Alex

There is a third option. Buy a small digital recorder, like a Fostex MR8. Use it to record the tracks one or two at a time. Import to PC via USB and mix there.

One advantage to this is the fact that recording can be done somewhere other than the PC room, which might be noisy. Find the room where recording works best, do it there, then mix at PC. I use this approach and it works very well.

Ed

Thanks for your fast reply Alex! really useful! :o

I would probably go for the Mixer/soundcard method!

Do someone knows which Soundcard and which Mixer should I buy for the purpose of my project ??? :confused:

I don't need many inputs - only two would be enough because I will record track by track - means acoustic guitar then vocal and then I will add electronical effects.

Thank you.
PS I will check for the M-Audio, thanks again!

And I would like to know also if SM57 would be a good asset to record the guitar and the vocal!

I've read that it is a good versatile mic, that has a bass proximity effect (meaning, the bass is accentuated as you go closer to the mic). Especially good for both guitar and vocals. ALthough for specifically vocals I hear shure SM58 is good.

I have both 57 and 58 models, which are both good. For vocals I normally use a small battery powered condensor mic, which works very well.

The key thing for both vocals and acoustic guitar is room enviroment. You want zero noize and no cars driving by. If you use a mic stand, place on carpet. Avoid standing on hard wood floors, as slightest movement can be heard.

A good check of your room is to set up to record, and record just the room itself. Listen to hear what makes it through. I may surprise you. Birds chirping outside, A/C units coming on/off, ticking clocks 20 feet away.

Ed

Good thank you very much for the mic's hint!

I also would like your advice about the soundcard and the mixer I should use with a good ratio quality/price ???? :confused:

I don't need many inputs on the mixer - only two would be enough because I will record track by track - means acoustic guitar then vocal and then I will add electronical effects.

Ced

Oh yeah! it looks great!! I will keep this in my mind and waiting for some other proposition but it took the first place!!! ;)

Thanks to you sixways!! My choice will probably be that!! :D

Any other propositions???

Last edited:
I was gonna recommend you check out a thrad i just posted a suggestion in, but that deal is a lot better.

Ok then! I saw that it was the best deal I could find for what I want to do so I finally bought it after checked all deals.

Thank you very much for this ad :D

Ced

Ced said:
P.S. I am not too rich so if you have cheap way but it gets a good sound I would be really happy!!!! :D

you have a intergrated soundcard and a crappy mic and yet you bought 1000 bucks worth of software w/o knowing what should go w/ it?

Sorry but..im surprised no-one else thought this too..you guys are slipping! :rolleyes:

:P

I got those software from the guy where I recorded a demo for my band! He was a friend of mine!

if I was you I would be saving up and getting better equipment. when I first bought equipment for recording, I didn't just jump on a all-in-one solution. I knew it would be a process in getting an almost-ideal set up. I am still far from it, but I, myself, had to get piece by piece to get something set up. I suggest first you get yourself a good recording sound card, some outboard gear, some mic's and get started.

Compare MobilePre and Fast Track

I'm only doing acoustic guitar and vocals. Which would work best for me? Does the MobilePre have any advantages that would justify the extra $50? My budget is very tight, so want to get the most for the least first time out.
Also, Musician's Friend has a refurb Fast Track for a little less. has anybody tried it? As good as New?

Thanks
Singinsolo

Back