Starting Home Recording

Coozle

Hello everyone,

I'm 19 and been rapping for quite awhile. Me and my friends decided we'd start recording at my house and release em on youtube.

I was about to buy the Blue Yeti USB mic until someone told me the quality of a USB mic wont be good?

So I was wondering if the Blue Yeti Mic would be fine enough to listen and enjoy without noticing differences? And would I need to buy a soundcard for my laptop?

Or should I buy a Condenser mic with a preamp. Which reminds me, I don't understand what a preamp is? If so, is that all I would need (with pop filter)? And which one would you suggest as my budget is 200-400 maximum.

Thank you for your help!

A preamp amplifies a mic-level signal to a line-level signal, which is the proper signal for audio recording.

You want to look at a preamp/audio interface combo. That is the best place to start.

Check youtube for demos of the Yeti and judge for yourself if it fits with what you want to do.

If you go with a USB mic, you do not need a separate audio interface or preamp, those are 'part of' the USB mic. Note that with a USB mic, you are stuck with that one device for recording. WIth an audio interface, you can upgrade mics, use 2+ mics (assuming you get an AI with 2 preamps, etc).

I guess I should have been a little more clear about that.

USB mics are a waste of $ IMHO.

+1 to c7sus. USB mics are horrible quality.

Use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface with a cheap MXL mic. It's not going to be the best quality, but you can always upgrade later. Also, you can get a scarlett with the studio package from focusrite it's basically the interface, headphones, a condenser mic and probly a cable and/or pop filter. Pretty much everything you need to get started for about $250 or so.

Also, be careful with condenser mics, they'll pick up room sound so make sure you're room isn't too reflective. There's plenty of cheap diy options for isolation such as hanging blankets and things like that. That'll probly give you the best results for starting out.

Back