Starting from zero. DAW suggestion

fadetogrey

Hi. İ have zero knowledge about music production and i want to learn and create my own music for just hobby. İ searched but couldn't find an answer about DAW selection. Some points:

-i will use the daw in windows.
-i just want to get a keyboard, sit in front of computer and make my own music just with that software. i won't record any instruments with a mic. So the the daw with most instruments and sounds included will be better i guess?
-Also i wont make beats or some rap thing or some cover. Just want to make my own music from scratch. Creating my own unique music with melodies on my mind.
-Tried fl studio and ableton live. Couldn't decide what to pick. Ableton seems to have good manual and some tutorials. Should that be my deciding factor?
For now those are my questions. Not restricted to those questions. İ can get other suggestions too. Thanks.

Hi fadetogrey.
I am the complete opposite, and do not use daw instruments at all.
Some instruments came included with Cubase Elements (£80), but I've never used them.
I do use external hardware sampled instruments, Roland Sonic Cell and Roland Integra 7.
The only advice I can offer is don't rule out Cubase, or similar daws.

Hi. İ have zero knowledge about music production and i want to learn and create my own music for just hobby. İ searched but couldn't find an answer about DAW selection. Some points:

-i just want to get a keyboard, sit in front of computer and make my own music just with that software. i won't record any instruments with a mic. So the the daw with most instruments and sounds included will be better i guess?
-Also i wont make beats or some rap thing or some cover. Just want to make my own music from scratch. Creating my own unique music with melodies on my mind.
-Tried fl studio and ableton live. Couldn't decide what to pick. Ableton seems to have good manual and some tutorials. Should that be my deciding factor?
For now those are my questions. Not restricted to those questions. İ can get other suggestions too. Thanks.
Ableton Live with its fast and fluid workflow makes a massive impression, and is used by more artists than any other DAW Except Reaper- FL Studio will cost you less becuase of free updates - I think that Cubase is the most inclusive of all DAWs - with many excellent plugins and an extensive sound library - clearly this is the winner.

Presonus Studio One. I use the Pro version but I understand the other versions are pretty damned good too. Worth checking out.

Questions like this crop up all the time on forums friend and I always wonder how the poster is going to hear the music they want to make?
Perhaps you intend to just plug a USB 'dumb' keyboard into a laptop and listen on headphones (or worse IMHO 'meeja' speakers!) Well, that will work but there are two drawbacks. The first is that the sound quality from the laptop 'soundcard' might not be very good. They are not by any means always total crap but some are. The second problem is more likely. Latency, that is a delay between pressing a key and hearing the note.

The solution to both problems is a USB Audio Interface and moreover one that has good ASIO drivers. You can still use headphones through it if you have nothing else. I would suggest looking at AIs from Native Instruments, MOTU and Focusrite. NI give you a light version of Ableton and MOTU Performer. Not sure about Focusrite, Cubase A1? In any case any of those DAWs will get you started. If you want a DAW that has a huge online following Reaper is a no-brainer.

Dave.

There is no doubt almost every major DAW on the current stage has a ton of parody when it comes to audio and audio recording. Logic does what Pro Tools does as with Studio One, Cubase or Reaper. The workflows can be slightly different but by and large, they're all very, very good and far more capable than most home enthusiasts could ever possibly take advantage of. If there is an advantage in audio is has to go to Pro Tools for its "best in class" audio editing capabilities. The rest is apples to apples.

That however is definitely not the case when it comes to midi and softsynth production. Keep in mind the workflow component is much more important in a midi-only environment, as a clumsy midi editor can slow things down in a major hurry and make creating music secondary to futzing with software. For years Pro Tools was an almost unworkable midi solution and although they've made major strides they are still not in other players' ballpark. If one is content in staying with stock instruments there is nothing that comes remotely close to Reason+. What was once a bit of a novelty has now become an industry-leading synth production solution. There are enough proprietary synths on board to last a lifetime and many of those synths have matured into world-class sonic sounding instruments. Their new physical modeling plug-in Friktion is a stunning string synth that frankly rivals some of the Spitfire/Project Sam high-end libraries. There are endless arpeggiators and chord creators to make it difficult to even audition a portion of its bottomless production tools. Its midi environment (workflow) is as good as Logic, maybe better, and it now is capable of using third-party soft synths. It also runs in other DAW's as a plug-in. If your description in your original post is accurate this solution would be my absolute first pick and by a country mile.

Studio One has made ginormous leaps and bounds in the DAW arena and I find it the single most intuitive workflow in the industry. In a recent "Production Expert Magazine Blog" the most used DAW in the industry was obviously Pro-Tools followed by Logic, yet somewhat surprisingly, Studio One was right on Logic's tail. That's pretty amazing for freshman production software. It covers both audio and midi as well as anything out there. It's as simple or complex as you want it to be. It has a formidable line-up of softsynths. It's a completely drag-and-drop environment that exponentially speeds up workflow and all these compliments coming from me, who works 10 hours a day in Pro Tools.

So....without a doubt, if you want a dedicated synth environment, and as I mentioned, nothing can touch Reason+. Just nothing. If you want to invest in something that can split the difference between audio and midi I certainly look towards Studio One. It has a fairly large stock synth library. It handles audio in the most intuitive fashion in its class, and further, its midi environment is as capable as any of its competitors.

I think one can argue the pro and cons of DAW's endlessly when it comes to audio production. As I said, they're all really good and the differences are minuscule. But, for synth based midi environments a stock copy of Reason+ really has no peers.

Last edited:
So....without a doubt, if you want a dedicated synth environment, and as I mentioned, nothing can touch Reason+. Just nothing. If you want to invest in something that can split the difference between audio and midi I certainly look towards Studio One. It has a fairly large stock synth library. It handles audio in the most intuitive fashion in its class, and further, its midi environment is as capable as any of its competitors.

I think one can argue the pro and cons of DAW's endlessly when it comes to audio production. As I said, they're all really good and the differences are minuscule. But, for synth based midi environments a stock copy of Reason+ really has no peers.

Thanks. Since i don't know how to play any instrument, i won't be able to play some instrument and record it. That is why i ask specifially for a daw taht has most instrument sounds in it and or ability to create those sounds. From what i understand from what you said, Reason is good for manipulating and creating own sound. Does it also have many ready instruments sounds like pianos, guitars all kinds? Since i am a beginner and i don't know how to play any insturment and i will make the music alone, this is important for me i think.

Questions like this crop up all the time on forums friend and I always wonder how the poster is going to hear the music they want to make?
Perhaps you intend to just plug a USB 'dumb' keyboard into a laptop and listen on headphones (or worse IMHO 'meeja' speakers!) Well, that will work but there are two drawbacks. The first is that the sound quality from the laptop 'soundcard' might not be very good. They are not by any means always total crap but some are. The second problem is more likely. Latency, that is a delay between pressing a key and hearing the note.

The solution to both problems is a USB Audio Interface and moreover one that has good ASIO drivers. You can still use headphones through it if you have nothing else. I would suggest looking at AIs from Native Instruments, MOTU and Focusrite. NI give you a light version of Ableton and MOTU Performer. Not sure about Focusrite, Cubase A1? In any case any of those DAWs will get you started. If you want a DAW that has a huge online following Reaper is a no-brainer.

Dave.
İ will buy a sound card of course if i will be able to do some music. But first i have to try. İ have trials of many daws installed now on my pc. İ will pick one and learn a bit and then see if i can do it or if it is too much for me. and then if i succeed, i will buy a good sound card no doubt. i have 2 headphones already, philips shp9500 and hifimanhe400se. İ think those will be more than enough for start.

Thanks. Since i don't know how to play any instrument, i won't be able to play some instrument and record it. That is why i ask specifially for a daw taht has most instrument sounds in it and or ability to create those sounds. From what i understand from what you said, Reason is good for manipulating and creating own sound. Does it also have many ready instruments sounds like pianos, guitars all kinds? Since i am a beginner and i don't know how to play any insturment and i will make the music alone, this is important for me i think.

İ will buy a sound card of course if i will be able to do some music. But first i have to try. İ have trials of many daws installed now on my pc. İ will pick one and learn a bit and then see if i can do it or if it is too much for me. and then if i succeed, i will buy a good sound card no doubt. i have 2 headphones already, philips shp9500 and hifimanhe400se. İ think those will be more than enough for start.
Good idea to try several DAWs*, a process I have recommended several times (and if you haven't tried it, do have a look at MAGIX Samplitude) But, with respect, I think you have this venture arse'uppards! Get a decent USB interface FIRST. You need one to for the reasons I mentioned, sound quality and low latency. In the vast majority of cases you will get a free DAW with the interface. You may not like it/get on but then again you might! If so you will almost certainly have a cheap upgrade 'coupon' to the full fat version. My son got on very well with an AI supplied version of Cubase.

*When you are done with them do take some time to 'clean up'. An app like Revouninstaller can not only uninstall the DAW but clean out the registry crap that can be left behind. I found drum demo that left an incredible amount of ***t behind!

Dave.

I'm a tad confused about your wants and or needs here. If you're asking about which DAW has the most pre-recorded audio and audio loops I think any DAW of your choice would be just fine but in general, I think the general mantra in Albleton Live is the King of loop-based Daw's. The availability of 3rd party loops is Titanically overwhelming with absolutely minimal investment. The world would be your oyster. If however, you're asking about a DAW that has on-board instruments (soft synths) that would require playing a keyboard, nothing is more inclusive than Reason. As I mentioned earlier nothing really remotely close.

I'm a tad confused about your wants and or needs here. If you're asking about which DAW has the most pre-recorded audio and audio loops I think any DAW of your choice would be just fine but in general, I think the general mantra in Albleton Live is the King of loop-based Daw's. The availability of 3rd party loops is Titanically overwhelming with absolutely minimal investment. The world would be your oyster. If however, you're asking about a DAW that has on-board instruments (soft synths) that would require playing a keyboard, nothing is more inclusive than Reason. As I mentioned earlier nothing really remotely close.
Not more confused than me i am sure :) But for these questions, i got answers for both of them here it seems. Thanks.
Good idea to try several DAWs*, a process I have recommended several times (and if you haven't tried it, do have a look at MAGIX Samplitude) But, with respect, I think you have this venture arse'uppards! Get a decent USB interface FIRST. You need one to for the reasons I mentioned, sound quality and low latency. In the vast majority of cases you will get a free DAW with the interface. You may not like it/get on but then again you might! If so you will almost certainly have a cheap upgrade 'coupon' to the full fat version. My son got on very well with an AI supplied version of Cubase.
İ will get lost here too it seems. For example how can i connect midi keyboard to the soundcards you described? They have inputs for recording instruments but they dont have usb inputs for something like a keyboard. Anyway this is getting more confusing for me. İ think i have to keep searching at least 2 3 months before getting anything.

If you only want to record keyboard your setup could be quite simple. I use Reaper which is pretty cheap and will run on almost any computer. I have Windows.

I have a 61 key MIDI keyboard controller that connects to my laptop via USB and that's also how it gets power so no messy cords or cables, just the USB. There are loads of virtual instruments that you can download from the net and many are free. I am not a keyboard player per se but I do record synth and orchestral stuff on my own songs and my setup works great and the sounds I can get are amazing. With midi you have lots of options to edit what you recorded and there are videos on youtube that show how to do this in Reaper.

If you only want to record keyboard your setup could be quite simple. I use Reaper which is pretty cheap and will run on almost any computer. I have Windows.

I have a 61 key MIDI keyboard controller that connects to my laptop via USB and that's also how it gets power so no messy cords or cables, just the USB. There are loads of virtual instruments that you can download from the net and many are free. I am not a keyboard player per se but I do record synth and orchestral stuff on my own songs and my setup works great and the sounds I can get are amazing. With midi you have lots of options to edit what you recorded and there are videos on youtube that show how to do this in Reaper.
Yes since i can't play any instrument myself, i will use only keyboard.
İ've read that some daws have more and better instruments and sounds loaded ready inside. But is this an advantage if i can for example take a daw with less instruments and download sounds and instruments for it? Wouldn't they be equal then? For example lets say fl studio has 100 insturments and sounds etc. And reaper has only 25. Can i download instruments plugins etc for reaper and make it equal with fl studio? İf this is the case i won't bother with rest. İ can pick any daw.

Not more confused than me i am sure :) But for these questions, i got answers for both of them here it seems. Thanks.

İ will get lost here too it seems. For example how can i connect midi keyboard to the soundcards you described? They have inputs for recording instruments but they dont have usb inputs for something like a keyboard. Anyway this is getting more confusing for me. İ think i have to keep searching at least 2 3 months before getting anything.
Ok, two ways to go here. Assuming you have a MIDI keyboard (often called a "MIDI controller") you can generally connect it in two ways to a computer. As you say, you can plug into a USB port in which case you would then set whichever DAW you are using to use that USB device but you will be using the computers own sound card with its attendant possible poor sound quality and high latency.
However, most controllers have at least a MIDI output on a "DIN" 5 pin connector and that plugs into the interface (most but by no means all, have DIN MIDI in and out) So equipped you now run MIDI and sound with an ASIO driver which keeps Windows from meddling! The interface will of course deliver excellent sound quality as well.

Dave.

There is no doubt almost every major DAW on the current stage has a ton of parody when it comes to audio and audio recording. Logic does what Pro Tools does as with Studio One, Cubase or Reaper. The workflows can be slightly different but by and large, they're all very, very good and far more capable than most home enthusiasts could ever possibly take advantage of. If there is an advantage in audio is has to go to Pro Tools for its "best in class" audio editing capabilities. The rest is apples to apples.

That however is definitely not the case when it comes to midi and softsynth production. Keep in mind the workflow component is much more important in a midi-only environment, as a clumsy midi editor can slow things down in a major hurry and make creating music secondary to futzing with software. For years Pro Tools was an almost unworkable midi solution and although they've made major strides they are still not in other players' ballpark. If one is content in staying with stock instruments there is nothing that comes remotely close to Reason+. What was once a bit of a novelty has now become an industry-leading synth production solution. There are enough proprietary synths on board to last a lifetime and many of those synths have matured into world-class sonic sounding instruments. Their new physical modeling plug-in Friktion is a stunning string synth that frankly rivals some of the Spitfire/Project Sam high-end libraries. There are endless arpeggiators and chord creators to make it difficult to even audition a portion of its bottomless production tools. Its midi environment (workflow) is as good as Logic, maybe better, and it now is capable of using third-party soft synths. It also runs in other DAW's as a plug-in. If your description in your original post is accurate this solution would be my absolute first pick and by a country mile.

Studio One has made ginormous leaps and bounds in the DAW arena and I find it the single most intuitive workflow in the industry. In a recent "Production Expert Magazine Blog" the most used DAW in the industry was obviously Pro-Tools followed by Logic, yet somewhat surprisingly, Studio One was right on Logic's tail. That's pretty amazing for freshman production software. It covers both audio and midi as well as anything out there. It's as simple or complex as you want it to be. It has a formidable line-up of softsynths. It's a completely drag-and-drop environment that exponentially speeds up workflow and all these compliments coming from me, who works 10 hours a day in Pro Tools.

Pro-Tools is ""best in class"" for its audio editing capabilities? Says who?

İ should look for something that has that connector and cable then. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Pro-Tools is ""best in class"" for its audio editing capabilities? Says who?
Says virtually everyone here in Hollywood who is involved in the day-in and day-out combat Television and Motion Picture mixing world. There is not one, not a single major facility here in Los Angeles that is not Pro Tools. Not one. When the crap is on the line (and the crap is on the line every single day) nothing is faster at audio editing than Pro Tools. Our workload is massive, it's endless and the deadlines are brutal. 6 days a week 10 hours a day and for 22 years now I'm swimming with all my might to stay above water and meet daily time bomb deadlines while trying to appease screaming Creative Directors' panic. If there was a better environment for audio editing you can bet the house that me, and the entirety of this industry, and city, would have long, long ago switched to something faster and more intuitive. My job and reputation are on the line daily and I guarantee you that if there was something out there that would make our world easier, I'd be on it with bells on.

Last edited:
İ should look for something that has that connector and cable then. Didn't know that. Thanks.
You are very welcome. Now, you will be told that you CAN run a USB kbd with a PC and interface without a MIDI DIN cable and this is true but, as a newb I think you might find it easier to visualize the 'system' where it has "keybd" >AI>computer. You will also see in the DAW's setup menu "MOTU" MIDI IN" and "MOTU MIDI OUT" (e,g,) and that again makes it a bit easier to get your head around what is going on. You will still need to power the controller, either from USB or a wall rat but the USB power could come from one of those $2 USB plugs. Many people have mains outlets with USB power ports and you can get mains 'diss' strips so equipped. Or the controller might come with a PSU anyway.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with a decent interface. Like wanting to do car DIY and not having a socket set!

Joseph? I feel for you. Music must have long ago ceased to be any fun.

Dave.

Yes since i can't play any instrument myself, i will use only keyboard.
İ've read that some daws have more and better instruments and sounds loaded ready inside. But is this an advantage if i can for example take a daw with less instruments and download sounds and instruments for it? Wouldn't they be equal then? For example lets say fl studio has 100 insturments and sounds etc. And reaper has only 25. Can i download instruments plugins etc for reaper and make it equal with fl studio? İf this is the case i won't bother with rest. İ can pick any daw.
FYI, I have no issues using the USB cable (even with piano) and most new midi controller keyboards only come with USB and no separate MIDI connectors. the keyboard I have has One USB and one connection for a sustain pedal and that's it. Easy. If for whatever reason you don't like your soundcard THEN go spend on an interface but not before. Why complicate things and spend money if you don't need to?

The virtual instrument plugins you can download are excellent and there are a LOT to choose from so don't pick your DAW based on what virtual instruments come with it. And honestly, I only use free virtual instruments so far because there are so many available now that I haven't needed to buy any yet. I will spend when the need arises.

You are very welcome. Now, you will be told that you CAN run a USB kbd with a PC and interface without a MIDI DIN cable and this is true but, as a newb I think you might find it easier to visualize the 'system' where it has "keybd" >AI>computer. You will also see in the DAW's setup menu "MOTU" MIDI IN" and "MOTU MIDI OUT" (e,g,) and that again makes it a bit easier to get your head around what is going on. You will still need to power the controller, either from USB or a wall rat but the USB power could come from one of those $2 USB plugs. Many people have mains outlets with USB power ports and you can get mains 'diss' strips so equipped. Or the controller might come with a PSU anyway.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with a decent interface. Like wanting to do car DIY and not having a socket set!

Joseph? I feel for you. Music must have long ago ceased to be any fun.

Dave.
You know Dave I made a commitment, some years back, to put together a personal rig that was completely different than the Pro Tools rigs at the studio. I do a lot of music ques from home, so I wanted to have a fresh look versus my Pro Tools environment at work. I wound up with a hybrid Reason+ and Studio One rig. At least at that point, I wouldn't feel like I'm at work. I'm really content with my home system and as I've mentioned here earlier, Studio One is a really slick environment and quite frankly does a boatload of things better than Pro Tools, and Reason+ which has blossomed nicely from a kinda novelty into a full-blown midi solution. I'm positive I could create my ques singularly in Reason+ if needed.

Back