Starting Again!!!

jamest748

Ok, after unsuccessfully building my currnet studio with bits and bobs I'm going to make a fresh start and try again!

What I want is for home use, good gear, 2 tracks max (mainly guitar and Vox) and I have a Roland TD12 for good measure!

What I have currently is:

Neumann U87 ai
AKG C414 XLS
Avalon vt737 sp
Apogee PSX 100 A/D and D/A Converter
Sonar 8.5 Producer
Marian Marc X Soundcard
Genelec Monitors
Beyer Dynanmics Headphones

I can't seem to get it all going so I was thinking of upgrading the soundcard to something with a a bit more and also getting another pre-amp for stereo recording.

The other thing is, I'm currently mixer-less but want to add the headphones somewhere in the mix...where do these connect in my current set up to be able to monitor the audio playback and metronome???

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Cheers,
James.

I assume that you have your monitors connected to the analog output on the back of the Apogee PSX10? You could work in something like a Mackie Big Knob or whatever Presonus calls there's and have a physical volume knob along with some options for headphones. The Presonus thing actually looks like it has 4 headphone outs on it.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...241727&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=89323933

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...700343&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26048107

I'd say you probably have higher quality gear in that list than 85% of the people here. Treat your room, there's no reason you shouldn't be getting excellent results from that.

Ok, didn't know one of those existed so I'll take a look thanks!

I've treated the room quite well with acoustic foam and cloth.

What about a decent soundcard?

I was looking at the RME 24/96 interface? Sound good?

acoustic foam

do some research around here. Foam, although does have limited uses for some, is typically problematic, in that it only treats a very limited range of frequencies- and not the range where most have issues (bass). Look up rigid fiberglass / rockwool / OC703, etc...

As far as the sound card, I'd speculate that the Appogee is doing most of the work since that has the converters in it. It looks like your current card is just serving as an ADAT input and output.

Are you trying to fix a particular problem?

Back