Starting a new EP

I listened to Under the Table - some things I liked: the spacey, roomy sound. the whacked-out long distortion on the vocal the last time it occurs.
things I didn't like: it was very bright...the combination of cymbals, distorted vox, and high end of the guitar were all kind of clashing when they were all occurring during the chorus, "i like everybody". also, the distorted vox were a bit too distorted. they actually don't need so much drive to appear distorted. however, like i said, the final take at it, where it goes nuts, is a very cool idea and I'd actually like to use something like that in my own tracks, ha.

just my thoughts. thanks for sharing

Hmmm I Kept putting on an EQ from Guitar Rig on over heads, vocals and guitars because I thought it brought everything to life , The guy that mastered it said the mix was harsh and he took out high frequencies , I think it’s killed the cymbals volume.

Someone is making a Claymation video for the song and I want to release it as a single as people seem to like the song over our other stuff. Think I want to re-mix, any other advice you could give on what would bring this to a professional level suitable for radio or music television.

Since you guys were talking about under the table, if yo just reduced that guitar on the upper end, I think the mix isn't that bad. I listened on a full system and on headphones. On my headphones the high end was even worse. Knock down that guitar on the high end and I think your mix will settle in.

I thought everything else sounded pretty good on my system.

Hmmm I Kept putting on an EQ from Guitar Rig on over heads, vocals and guitars because I thought it brought everything to life , The guy that mastered it said the mix was harsh and he took out high frequencies , I think it’s killed the cymbals volume.

Someone is making a Claymation video for the song and I want to release it as a single as people seem to like the song over our other stuff. Think I want to re-mix, any other advice you could give on what would bring this to a professional level suitable for radio or music television.

Ok, well if the mastering dude said the original mix was harsh, I would just go back into the mix and tame those frequencies. Not sure if that's a possibility, but apparently the consensus is that the track is too bright. If he worked on it to make it what it is now, I couldn't imagine how bright it was before.... do you cross check the mixes on different systems before sending it out for mastering? Burn the file and listen in your car, stereo, phone, etc... Maybe it sounded good on the system you used, but remember to listen on multiple things. use your EQ sweep on the guitars, vox, overheads, and look out for the super annoying frequencies 2.5k and up (rough estimate, maybe some are lower). That's all i got for ya!

I listened to the first song. The snare and vocals seemed to dominate, I would probably bring those down. Everything else seemed like it was mixed well. The rhythm guitar might come down a bit with the vocal. I wonder if some kind of "glue" might help keeps things tied together, maybe just a bit of reverb or compression on the master? Changing the levels might already do that job though, things just seemed a little like composites more than a whole. It's a really cool song, performed nicely.

Thanks guys for your input, Did the lack of volume of the tracks bother anyone, is this likely to stop radio guys playing it.

Good tracks guys! It's kind of like if the pixies and greenday had a love child. Can't really say much about the mix cause I think it's fitting for the sound. Good work guys

With love

Back