Started studying

rivilee

Over the years I've made temporary spaces in whatever house I've rented, but now I own my own house:) So, I want to do it as right as I can on a tight budget...
I'm gonna educate myself as much as possible and start construction in October.
This will be for personal use; I don't envision anything more than demos. I don't have to worry about the neighbors too much so I'm not worried about keeping the sound in. The neighborhood is quiet so I'm not too worried about sound coming in. Also, there's brick walls between the recording space and the rest of the house so there is already pretty decent sound separation- the only real connection is attic space but we can live with that. Also, I'm pretty set with equipment, mics, DAW etc.

The recording space will be 20'x20' x8'H on a concrete slab. It's currently a carport- brick wall on front (house) side, brick wall on right side (has a door going into a laundry/storage room), the left side is currently a half brick wall and the back side is currently open (two car opening). The ceiling is plywood w/ a ladder to a walk in storage attic w/wood floor. The door into the house leads into what will be the control room- 16'x12' w/ a 6'x6' "intrusion" on one corner.

My big question is what to do with the 20x20 space-how to shape it for sound. My wife wants a small room in it for an occasional bedroom- she's fine with a murphy bed so I can use it mainly as an isolation booth? I'll need a door somewhere on the back wall to go outside. Should I go for a squared off room or a triangle shaped room or? She very much wants the space to be used for music (we're all musicians) but we also foster children occasionally so it would be nice to make the space usable that way too.

I'm thinking for HVAC I'll do a mini-split heat pump system since the house system isn't big enough for the added space and just turn it off when we're recording a take.

This will all be DIY. I'm not an engineer so figuring what to do with room nodes, etc. gives me a headache pretty quickly. If y'all could help me get in the ballpark with where to put DIY panels, bass traps, bookcases, etc. that would be a big help! I'll try to get my son to do a sketchup if that will help.

Thanks,
Rick

Back