Started re-mixing in REAPER

RAMI,
Apart from the little 3khz peak I sometimes use the octave replacement method if I can't get the bass clear enough:
OCTAVE REPLACEMENT EQ - TYPICAL SETTINGS as explained by Bob Dennis
Frequency Level Q
100 Hz -6 dB 1.4
200 Hz +5 dB 1.4

It was another Motown innovation that, along with the exciting compressor (that you put me onto) works wonders in certain circumstances.

I just listened to NWD. I love the sounds I'm hearing. Great guitar tone - reminiscent of Ace. I liked the vox sound with the effect - kinda has a 70's vibe, but still relevant. It's a good mix too, however, I thought the drums and guitar were dryer than a popcorn fart compared to the vox - it kinda threw me.
:D

They sound great, Rami, you did a fine job.....;) (just don't grab the mouse by the tail....:D)
Love the harmonies, the drums, ....WTF, I love everything about them!
And to top it all, you're a class songwriter. Rock on bro!

Joey :)

Really great stuff.

I notice that your finished frequency spectrums are pretty much ideal.

I used to have to go back to the drawing board cuz mine were always whack; but, like you said, after a while, you just get a knack for recording individual tracks and mixing them ...arriving at nearer perfections.

But you sorta panned my advice...as too complex... to another poster about using the freq spec average to tweak to 'ideal'. How did you arrive at being able to perfect your spectrums, if you'd never done that? Re-record every track that was bad, dialing out unwanted freqs??

That'd be the best way..but a lot of work. Was that your technique?

RAMI,
Apart from the little 3khz peak I sometimes use the octave replacement method if I can't get the bass clear enough:
OCTAVE REPLACEMENT EQ - TYPICAL SETTINGS as explained by Bob Dennis
Frequency Level Q
100 Hz -6 dB 1.4
200 Hz +5 dB 1.4

It was another Motown innovation that, along with the exciting compressor (that you put me onto) works wonders in certain circumstances.
Wow! Never heard of that. I'll definitely try that. Thanx, bro. :cool:
I just listened to NWD. I love the sounds I'm hearing. Great guitar tone - reminiscent of Ace. I liked the vox sound with the effect - kinda has a 70's vibe, but still relevant. It's a good mix too, however, I thought the drums and guitar were dryer than a popcorn fart compared to the vox - it kinda threw me.
:D
Hmmmm....I really appreciate the compliments and the insight. I know the drums and guits aren't dry on the tune, but what you said might be proof that the vocals are way too wet. That's not a hard adjustment to make. I'll dry up those vox a bit and hopefully the mix will sound more coherent. Thanx again, Max.

They sound great, Rami, you did a fine job.....;) (just don't grab the mouse by the tail....:D)
Love the harmonies, the drums, ....WTF, I love everything about them!
And to top it all, you're a class songwriter. Rock on bro!

Joey :)
Thanx a lot, Joey. :cool:
Really great stuff.

I notice that your finished frequency spectrums are pretty much ideal.

I used to have to go back to the drawing board cuz mine were always whack; but, like you said, after a while, you just get a knack for recording individual tracks and mixing them ...arriving at nearer perfections.

But you sorta panned my advice...as too complex... to another poster about using the freq spec average to tweak to 'ideal'. How did you arrive at being able to perfect your spectrums, if you'd never done that? Re-record every track that was bad, dialing out unwanted freqs??

That'd be the best way..but a lot of work. Was that your technique?
Hey Jeff, thanx a lot for that.

Man, the answer to all your questions is: I don't know. :eek:

I have no idea how any of my tracks "look", or how the final mix looks, for that matter. I never look at any graphs for my music (don't even know if REAPER has any anylizers). I try to get good tracks recorded to the best of my ability, and then I mix them to the best of my ability. I'm not trying to be smug or sly, I seriously don't do anything more complicated than that. In fact, I don't even track into my PC. I track into a TASCAM 2488 which has no visual aid othe than the levels of the tracks.

It's nice to know my tracks "look" the way they "should", but I have no idea how the hell that happened. :D

Hey guys,

I just wanted to thank everyone that listened and posted. I don't trust my ears as much as others trust theirs, probably because I know for a fact that I'm more than half deaf in one of them, and the other one's it's way out too. :eek:

I re-mixed all the tunes. I tried and kept pretty much every suggestion made in this thread. Vocals came up in one tune, bass compressed in another, drums and guitar got wetter in yet another, etc....

So, thanx a lot. Those 3 tunes just got that much better with your help.

:cool:

(I don't like locking threads, but I don't mind if this one dies because I want to post another tune, but don't like having 2 threads on the front page of the forum....too much pressure. :D )

NWD: Everything is up front and smacking you in the face. Which is good. I prefer a bit of space in my mixes, but for what it is, sounds great. Love the vocals.

Piranhas: Good job. Again, to make room for the guitar solo, the rhythm tracks could be "pushed back".

Thur: Musically I liked the other songs better, but mix-wise this was the best.

Good job, always like your stuff :)

Back