Start/stop recording with footswitch ??

BriamJH

I record on my own and find it difficult to start (and stop) recording if I am about to use an instrument. Is there a way to perform this operation with a footswitch. Many thanks, Brian

Yes, but it all depends on what you already have. I've got a PreSonus Faderport v1 that has a Footswitch port that will Record/Stop on press. I've also got a Nektar Panorama P1 that has the same thing (but I've assigned that to Play/Stop). Basically, you need some sort of Control Device, or it may be possible with a MIDI device that has a footswitch. It definitely makes things much easier. Even having a Single "Record" Transport Button makes things easier, instead of Ctrl+R. Best of luck!

Thanks. For the moment I have an Audiobox USB 96. It does not have a footswitch facility. I will search around for a low-cost solution !! Appreciate your fast response, Brian

You shouldn't need a foot switch. Look into the punch-in function in REAPER. You can set a pre-roll for as long as you want so that yuou can hit "RECORD" and have all the time you need to get ready.

Yes, all of these other Options do exist. I personally use a Pre-roll of 2 bars (Metronome) when Recording in Reaper with Recording set to "Auto-Punch" Time Selection. I do still use a Footswitch or my Transport's Record Button though. Sometimes it is actually just easier to start with the Footswitch with your Hands already in position, so I understand OPs request. Especially since Red Light Syndrome already exists, the less obstacles, the better! ;)

Yes, all of these other Options do exist. I personally use a Pre-roll of 2 bars (Metronome) when Recording in Reaper with Recording set to "Auto-Punch" Time Selection. I do still use a Footswitch or my Transport's Record Button though. Sometimes it is actually just easier to start with the Footswitch with your Hands already in position, so I understand OPs request. Especially since Red Light Syndrome already exists, the less obstacles, the better! ;)
Good points. :)

I guess I was assuming (I know, never do that) that the OP comes from "Tape" days and might not have been aware that other options exist. That's the only reason I said "You shouldn't need a foot switch". But, if it's the most comfortable way to work, by all means go for it. :)

I've never needed or used a foot switch. I actually think it would be more distracting to me to have to have to start with a switch. It's much easier to just arm the track start recording at a point earlier than you need. Either split out the part you don't need, or mute it if you want to keep the relative measures the same.

My old AW1600 could use a foot switch... I never got one.

Back