Standing next to me (cover)

cincy_kid

Hey all,

I have had some more free time in the past couple of months so I have put some more time in on my studio (pictures to come in next few days) and finally got it to a place where I am able to get back to recording! ;)

The first thing I took a stab at was a cover.

The artist is a band called The Last Shadow Puppets and the name of the song is Standing next to me. If you don't know the song, please first check out the acoustic version that I tried covering here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=IYDiqrVDI-g - They are a 2 piece (one guy from Arctic Monkeys and one from The Rascals - a couple of bands from the UK)

I am not much of a guitarist and I know I was off in a couple spots on the harmonies but I am looking for comments more on the mix I suppose as I am testing out my new room, but feel free to comment on anything. Also, a big complaint I have about my version is the electric guitar on the solo sounds thin. I am using my Godin plugged into my Johnson Amp and then a sure 57 pointed at the speaker.

Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks ~

My version: Standing next to me

I listened to this on my laptop speakers, so I wont comment on the mix too much.
It sounded good though. The acoustic sounded a little thin on my end, maybe fatten it up a little? How did you track it?
Vocals are good, a little pitchy here and there.
Overall sounds very good though.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Night...

I tracked the acoustic by using my Studio Projects B1 on a smaller mic stand about 6-8 inches from the hole in the body.

agreed on the picthy in a few places =p

thanks for the listen.

Cincy_Kid - good to hear your singing again, it's been a while...:) The mix is pretty good on this. I think the vocals sit nicely out front and the rhythm is supporting it well. The electric really adds some sparkle to the mix, but is not overpowering. Overall I think your new studio seems to be working well....:D

Thanks for the post ido ;)

You dont think the electric guitar sounds thin? Was trying to make it sound more um, hmm, fat? Just kinda sounds like its in a box or muffled a bit instead of sounding bright and crisp...(if that made any sense lol)....

Thanks for the post ido ;)

You dont think the electric guitar sounds thin? Was trying to make it sound more um, hmm, fat? Just kinda sounds like its in a box or muffled a bit instead of sounding bright and crisp...(if that made any sense lol)....

Well I think the electric sounds good as is. But go ahead and tweak the eq on it if you like. The mids are usually the culprit on guitars....;)

Back