Standalone?

Jamie Jukosky

So, I've gotten pretty fed up with computers for transportability and reliability issues. I'm looking into a standalone recorder. I have a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer. There are a lot of units out there that are neat but don't quite match what I want. I'm looking for something that can record 16 tracks at once, has some onboard effects, allows you to cut and paste audio, and has some sort of integrated CD burner. Something like the Mackie SDR 24/96 is very cool but then I'd need a standalone CD burner and outboard effects, which I'm pretty sure I can't afford. The Yamaha units seem to be only able to record 8 tracks simultaneously. If anybody has some ideas on a good solid workstation like I've described let me know.

Yo Jamie-J:

I may be wrong, but I don't know of any SIAB units that record 16 tracks at once?

You can, of course, sync two units of either 8 track/16 track, like ADATS and have your 16 single recording tracks available.

But, that means buying two units.

I'm kind of curious as to what you would be recording that would need 16 tracks at once?

Green Hornet :D :p :cool:

I wanted to record whole bands miked up at once. Full drumset, 1-2 guitars, bass, vox. I suppose I could make do with 8 tracks since I usually overdub vocals anyway. In that case the Yamaha AW16G looks really nice. I just wanted to have 16 to 24 tracks so that in the future I could do more. I usually put five mikes on the drumset, so that leaves 3 more for the rest of the band. Let me know what kind of ideas you have. I'm probably looking for more power than I need. What does SIAB stand for?

Id look at the Roland 24 track or the Dps24 type standalone if your heading in that direction. One of the biggest limitation of the AW4416 and its sisters is the lack of xlr mic inputs. If you want to mic drumn kits, the 2 xlr's are not nearly enough unless you haul that Mackie around as a submixer. The VS2480 has 8 xlr mic inputs with phantom power same for the Dps24. I think most others only have the 2 xlr's. Correct me if Im wrong folks. .That my .02

SoMm

I can recommend the Roland VS2480 (24tr/24bit/96k). I've got one and I think it's great. And it can record 16 tracks at once (even in 24 bit). Unless you want a sample rate higher than 48k (i.e. 64, 88.2 or 96), in which case it can only record 8 at once.

Yo Jamie:

Thanks for you explanation. Now that I think about it, I've seen a symphony orchestra being recorded on television and there were mics all over the place.

Always learn something when I turn up this site.

I didn't know the Roland could do 16 tracks at once; well, maybe I read it somewhere.

Have fun with all those mics and cables when you get there.

Green Hornet :D :p :D

I just picked up a new issue of home recording yesterday. It has a good chart comparing almost all of the (smaller) standalone workstations that are out there. It's worth a read.

I just bought a DPS24 and from what I've read and now what I've seen for my eyes the DPS24 is a very good unit. Like all technilogies the price will continue to drop.

How about buying two used VS1680s/1880s and sync them together... That would probably cost less than a VS2480 and enable you to record 16 tracks (from 16 analog inputs) at once... Or why not a VS1680+VSR880... Just some suggestions...

/Anders

Back