Standalone multitrack XLR inputs?

Jamie Jukosky

I'm looking at getting a standalone multitracker. All of them seem to only have one or 2 XLR inputs and all the rest are TRS. Many of them can handle recording eight tracks simultaneously. What is the best way to put 8 mikes into a unit like this. I have 16 channel mackie mixer and could just put it through that and use the preamps and everything but I was hoping to have something a little more portable. Any suggestions?

You could go with a Roland Machine like the vs-2480 or 1824.. or perhapse a similar Yahama machine. they make then in 16 and 24 channel options. However, as you stated, many of teh 8 channel models only have 2 XLR inputs/preamps. if your goal is to use one of the lower-end machines with less XLR's then you will have to carry around your Mackie. If you are willing to spring for, say.. a VS-2480 then you will never have to worry about having enough plugs for your mics. That thing is a BEAST. AND you can have several FX expansion boards installed for FX on nearly every controlable channel.. It's a hell of a box with a hell of a price.. but the other way to go is with a smaller box and a mixer. i don't really know of any DAW's with 8 XLR's/preamps... but I haven't really been looking lately..

You can get single space rackmount units that have 8 XLR inputs with pre's, but they're expensive. If your concerned about portability, I'd buy (or build) a small PA box (I think that's what they're called) that puts the mixer on the top, and there's usually 6 rack spaces in the box which would give you enough room to stick a standalone unit in. You'd just have to pull it out when you arrive.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to see if I can swing the price of the more expensive multitrackers. I'm looking into a multitracker because I'm really tired of carrying my entire computer and mixer around to record and then have it crash or have some weird software glitch while I'm recording. I'm looking for something more stable that I can get ideas into really fast. The Fostex 16 track with the CD burner and my mixer sounds like it might be a nice setup.

Back