Stable computer settings intel

traw

Whats good for doing audio and maybe big vstis like colossus spec wise. I have been looking for a new pc and I see these dual core processors and core 2 extremes and all and i'm just getting confused. How fast does a processor need to be and what type of ram and such?

Real-Time effects like Reverb, Chorus, etc. will take up a lot of CPU.

Real-Time instruments (VSTi's) will use up a lot of RAM, depending on which instrument you're using. Some take up only about 10-20MB or less, while others can take up over 300MB or even more than that.

So it really depends on how many tracks/effects/VSTis you'll be using at once.

I would suggest a minimum of 1GB RAM and 2GB if you can...I have 512MB and I barely get by.

Most Core Duos will work fine. I would suggest something over 2GHz. It's not just how many GHz it has though, there's more to it than that.

I'm not enough of a computer expert to recommend anything specific.

Any of the Core 2 cpus make a great daw processor.

I went for the 6600 as it's got more cache.

Make sure you also get a good motherboard. I went for an Asus P5B Deluxe which is also serving me well.

And yeah if you'll be running a few vstis, minimum 1GB ram, 2GB if you can afford it

Most major companies design high end computer audio equipment on intel chipsets. I would recommend getting a board with a decent intel chipset. You don't need a super video card, but at least get a video card with some onboard ram so it doesn't have to steal your system ram. any duo processor would be great, and the previous ram suggestion is right on. The Pentium D processors (the ones with 2MB cache anyway) are also very good and reliable.

The pentiumd is now 3 generations old, no reason to waste your money on that. The Core2Duo E6600 and up will give you the performance you want. I can tell you from testing that a project using around 75% CPU on a Pentiumd (2.8)will only use around 35% on a Core2Duo (2.6) system with everything else the same (interface, ram, hd).

Yeah C2D is the way to go. They are 64 bit cpu's which should give you some future proofing and I would also recommend the E6600 and up since they do have the the 4 mb cache. I run a gigabyte DS3 mainboard and it is solid. It's a 965/ICH8 based board and it's fairly stripped down but is perfect for what I do since i would much rather have more I/O than 2 PCI-E slots and SLI

Hard2Hear said:
The pentiumd is now 3 generations old, no reason to waste your money on that. The Core2Duo E6600 and up will give you the performance you want. I can tell you from testing that a project using around 75% CPU on a Pentiumd (2.8)will only use around 35% on a Core2Duo (2.6) system with everything else the same (interface, ram, hd).

Good point. The D processors still give a great bang for the price, though. I got mine last fall to have something to hold me over until the market settles. Things are moving pretty fast now... I'll upgrade when quadcores are affordable :).

I would suggest getting something faster than the core2duo 6600. It's a nice chip and all. But now we're nearing the time where they will be releasing a batch of new chips. Not just that but, probably a lot of new audio software too. I suggest going with the 6700 minimum (2.4ghz I think it is).

On chips, ghz don't really matter as much any more because of how smaller the die is becoming. AMD is loosing that battle. Intel chips are set at 65nm, and about to become 45nm. What this means is more transistors can fit on a regular sized die. Transistors mean more clock work per cycle. Which basically means a LOT faster. On top of that, Intel might be integrating the memory controllers onto the cpu, which will help bottlenecks because of the processors being faster than motherboards can handle. I suggest running at least 2gb of DDR2, and sata II drives. Of course everyone knows that computer technology changes every day. Not everyone knows to what level though. a 1TB HD will come out, and that might seem to everyday, but the explosion of HD space is what you look at. Sure another processor is coming out, but the tech that backs it up will prove that it's just not another processor. Something that can keep up with audio programs & the resources it taxes are needed. Some people on here are using Pentium II/III's with 512mb ram, 40gb HD's, and say they are fine. Throw in 10-15 effects, on 20 tracks, and 10 vst's, and their computer will crap out.

the 6600 chips are great but I rather get the 6700 or the extremes.

Grab yourself either of those chips or higher end chips. On AMD's side, if you prefer, grab the 4800+ it outperforms the lower AMD's, and the 5000+ without busting your pocket. Or if you can afford it you can get a FX-61 just to barely keep up with the intel 6600's...

For memory, choose Corsair, Kingston, OCZ, Patriot, Buffalo,
Good memory has good timings, check the timings on them. The lower the better of course. Like my timing on my pc3200's are 3-3-3-10. Pretty quick memory for the older ddr1 memory. Memory like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227118 is pretty quick for DDR2 667. They wont' go lower than 4-4-4-12 unless you pay a lot more $$ for them.... I'll take that back, Super Talent memory's timing is 4-4-3-8.

For motherboards. That's a world in it's own, there's hundreds of motherboards. I personally like Gigabyte, Asus, Abit, Epox, Evga, and DFI motherboards. Those will serve you well. Gigabyte has great service, for once I sent in a RMA for a customer, and got a brand new board back with no questions asked, and pretty quick too.

For cases, keep it quiet, but, don't skimp on cooling either, you rather have a session noisy than have an artist pay you $1,000 for a session only to have the whole thing crash because of heat problems. This one, I'll leave up to the board to help you out on, because I'll just isolate my case, so I can keep my thing at a chilled 25 degree's C.

Power supply. Nothing under 500w. Period. Good if it has more than 1 12v rail on it too. Keeps your system running stable and longer life.

Also, some people might tell you "pci is phasing out" don't listen to them. It's not going anywhere. Even Altitude909 needs more than what he stated, and he's not alone on that one, though I do got a Gigabyte SLI board, but with 3 PCI slots. Or 4 I can't remember.

and to end this, I'll like to note that these newer chips that have the 4mb cache, are shared, which is a lot better. The older chips, like the Pentium D's, and I dont' remember if the 6300 c2d too, were not.

Even Altitude909 needs more than what he stated, and he's not alone on that one, though I do got a Gigabyte SLI board, but with 3 PCI slots. Or 4 I can't remember.

Oh, thats why I chose the DS3 over anything else. It has 3 PCI slots, 3 PCIe 1x, and 1 pcie 16x. I like having the 3 legacy slots just in case and the DS3 was one of the only 965 based boards out there that still had 3. 2 16x video card in DAW is overkill and has no benefits in my eyes since someday (soon hopefully) we will see lots of neat 1x audio devices which will be fighting for bandwidth and having a monster video system wont help that all.

The 6600 is still the most bang for the buck right now and that will be more the case when intel drops prices next month (it will go down $80). Its is a 2.41 ghz chip and it is the cheapest 4 mb cache one out there

OH crap, i forgot, I got them mixed up. The 6600 is the 2.4, the 6400 is the 2.13 that I got mixed up with labeling it the 6600. Well yeah than. The 6600 is minimum someone should be getting. It outperforms ALL AMD chips. I have the X6800 in my system currently, and a Pentium D 930 in my other system, which soon will be upgraded... Now probably to the 6600. I didn't know they were going to drop the price down THAT much... Definitely will cop that when they lower it..

Mindset said:
OH crap, i forgot, I got them mixed up. The 6600 is the 2.4, the 6400 is the 2.13 that I got mixed up with labeling it the 6600. Well yeah than. The 6600 is minimum someone should be getting. It outperforms ALL AMD chips. I have the X6800 in my system currently, and a Pentium D 930 in my other system, which soon will be upgraded... Now probably to the 6600. I didn't know they were going to drop the price down THAT much... Definitely will cop that when they lower it..

Big time drops:

digitimes.com said:
Intel will launch a pricing campaign in the second quarter of 2007, with the price for the Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor falling to US$530, according to industry sources.

The Q6600 processor is expected to hit the market in January 2007 at US$851 in 1,000-unit quantities, and later on, cutting the price, Intel will try to boost shipments of its multi-core processors, the sources said.

The Core 2 Quad Q6400 is expected to be priced at US$400-500 when it hits the market in the third quarter of 2007, when Intel's quad-core are forecasted to double compared to the second quarter, the sources added.

Intel will also cut prices for its Core 2 Duo E6700, E6600, E6400, E6300 and E4300 processors in the second quarter, the sources said, adding that the price of the E6700 will be lowered to US$316 from the current US$530.

Back