SSS questions

LDS

OK, just saw the pics in this thread.

Years ago, I repaired tape decks for a living, and occasionally saw machines that looked like the one in that thread, as far as oxide buildup. I got out of the business several years (actually almost a couple of decades) ago.

Are all of the old tapes starting to do that? Are many new tapes doing that? Is anyone making anything like Grand Master any more that's any good?

I ask because I've recently thought about picking up some multitrack decks and rehabbing them, both for use and resale, but if the majority of tape available is going to shed like that, it seems like it would be more irritation than it's worth. I'd love to do some OTB mixing to a half-track Studer, but damn...

Just check out Sticky Thread #2 on this forum: "Sticky Shed Help Thread" for much useful info, primarily thanks to Beck.

Cheers,

Otto

The RMG and ATR tape is awesome. Altho I've had a few problems with RMG SS problems, it was replaced and no complaints since.

Also...

Any Quantegy branded tape after 1994 or so should be good but as always buyer beware.

499 seems to be good all around.

+1 to checking out that "sticky" thread.

I do believe the issue remains mostly based on a specific era and not necessarily general age, though with the wrong environment ANY tape can be driven to sticky shed.

Back