SSD Drive for recording

cecerre

Looking around, there are some threads from about a year ago that show people moving to SSD drives for recording. An opportunity for building a new PC for myself may have arisen. I haven't had any problems with performance using my old IDE drives for now but, anyone using SSD now that has been for the last year or so? Prices are still rather un-attractive for SSD drives but you can't beat the performance. Reliability issues aside, any input from folks using SSD to record/mix/master with that could comment on their experience would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Not needed unless your recording massive amounts of tracks at once. But... the speed increase over IDE is going to be ridiculously black and white for you.

I run an SS drive for my OS 120GB. I keep the C drive clean and have 2 separate drives 1 for music 1 for all other stuff. This works fine for me - it is easy to maintain and fast enough. 7200 and above spin ATA drives work well and are cheap enough that you can use the drive for a single purpose.

Any standard 7200rpm drive will stream over 100 simultaneous tracks.
And you should still have three separate drives, one for OS/apps/plugs, one for sample libraries and one for projects so the data streams are uninterrupted by any other things going on in the computer.

SSDs will eventually take over, but they're really not neccesary.

I run an SS drive for my OS 120GB. I keep the C drive clean and have 2 separate drives 1 for music 1 for all other stuff. This works fine for me - it is easy to maintain and fast enough. 7200 and above spin ATA drives work well and are cheap enough that you can use the drive for a single purpose.

Are you using Windows 7 per chance?

I'm also using SSD only for system disk (Quicker os an PT boot...). Had a few reliability issues with them.
I agree on the fact that it's useless for data drives (audio, samples).

Stick to SATA. I use 3 1TB 7200rpm SATA drives. Cost me about £40-45. That same storage in an SSD is gonna cost you something like £1000.

At this point in time, I do not see much advantage to spending the money to save a few seconds opening windows. Building a PC with 7200 SATA drives on an Intel i7 is as efficient as it needs to be. The only thing I feel I'm waiting on, is export (render) speed. It seems to me that there will be quite a few years before something will be introduced that will speed things up so much as to require upgrade. That is not say that I would not upgrade to SSD when prices come down. I just have other things that seem more relevant to spend my $$ on at this point.

Back