SR-16 lithium battery change?

Cwadroon

I have an sr-16 that I've had for about 5 years, and I lost all my programs because the battery died, I cracked it open, and the battery appears to be soldered on! Anyone know how to go about changing this damn thing??

You can either take the unit to an Alesis repair depot or contact

Advanced Musical Electronics at 310 559-3157 and order Alesis

part # 7-05-0003

Paul

That is the battery you would be ordering.
After changing the battery hold down the Erase and Play buttons
while turning the unit on to re-initialize it.

Paul

funny, i just had the SAME problem with my S4+ module. one day i noticed the display
settings looked a little funny and then i found that the USER bank had vanished. Alesis
confirmed that the lithium battery had bought the farm (i called them). they told me i could change it myself but that it was soldered in there. so i cracked open the unit and applied the tip of a soldering iron to the metal clip that holds the battery. turns out the battery was soldered from the top AND bottom. i finally got it out but broke off one of the clips in the process. fortunately a little "solder surgery" restored the clip and i popped in a new battery (i did add a DROP of solder to the OUTSIDE edge of the clip
to make sure the battery did not fall out). it worked just fine. the USER bank is still gone, though. i'll have to download from the Alesis web site. then my trusty S4 will be as good as new. if you are the least bit handy with soldering (i just picked up a cheap
kit from Radio Shack and it did the job) you can probably handle the job yourself. just
be careful with those metal clips.
p.s. got the battery for just under $3.

Thanks Cratinus

I'll have to get a soldering Iron and try that. Thanks for the info. I'm not a great solderer(never tried it before), but I am going to attempt it. Thanks for the tips.

I wonder what alesis charges for it? Probably 20 bucks or something. I once ordered a part for an old stratocaster(It was just a screw) and they charged me like $15 bucks for it.

Get a solder sucker for removing the old solder. They come in many diff forms but IMHO the one that works well is about a foot long and is spring loaded. You press the end in untill it latches, then heat the solder with an iron, put the tip of the solder sucker next to the molten solder and press the trigger. The retracting plunger creates a vacumm and will remove the solder. If it all doesn't come off then just repeat the steps until the part is free.

Back