squire j-bass's

Have not seen one

If they are anything like the Squire P-Basses they will probably be garbage. I was looking at some reviews on-line yesterday for the Squire P-Bass and most say they are crap.

I've played one, both in a shop and a couple of years ago in a studio. Very crude, like playing an agricultural implement. You really can do a lot better for the money - try an Essex or a low end Washburn or Yamaha.

The wiring and pots are total garbage in the Squire basses.

My brother-in-law has one and he had to return it twice because it totally crapped out and stopped putting out any sound at all. Both times they gave him a new bass and sent the old ones back to be refurbed. So far, the third one is holding out, but their track record still sucks.

My Squier P-Bass has been thrown across rooms and stages, dropped, fallen down stairs, and collided with other musical instruments, and it has yet to crap out on me once after nearly 9 years. Granted, it doesn't sound the greatest, and the pickguard is held on by approximately 5 screws, but I've never had a reliability issue with it. I favor the Gibson and the Fender Jazz, however, so the P-Bass doesn't see much action.

my squire p-bass takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. never had a problem with it yet. thats why i was wondering about the quality of the squire j-bass's.

i like schecter bass's. but, nothing beats the feel of my p-bass....it feels like homeeeeee

those bad p-bass's just must have not been winners. you gotta pick the good ones you know, the are usually the ones that jump out and say play me firsttttt

freak

How old is yours? I think the build quality has gone down substantially (yes, even worse than the "lowline" instruments they already are) in recent years.

i have one i bought about a year ago. i needed it for recording, 179.99 at g.c. as with any bass ( this is my 8th, inc. so called good one, ric,68 pbass, ibanez) i had to do a basic neck and bridge adj. but after shimming the neck( buisness card works best for me) the bass plays just fine. i use it direct w/ art tube pe compressor-eq-computer. i have been playing bass for over 20 years and have found that its all in the set up. this squire, plays better than a student s $900.00 tobias that needs a set up. bottom line find one that feels decent, then get a good set up. dont be affraid of shimming, basses can often play much better with a lower action. rock on everyone!

squire p-bass owner here too

isnt the difference between the p and j 20 bucks or something? i use my p-bass for recording and get a great sound out of it....i'm thinking about buying a bass cab but then people would ask me to play bass and i like guitar too much to give that up

i hear ya distorted, i play guitar, but i keep that on the hush because i like playing my bass much more.

i have two bass's, two guitars, and a uke. no one ever wants to jam with the uke :(

i think what it comes down to is how it feels. j-bass's feel too little to me. p-bass's are awsome. my p-bass plays nicer than my friends warwick, but, thats just what i think. of course, his isnt set up, i offered to do it for him, but, what do i know :)

freak

Re: squire p-bass owner here too

distortedrumble said:
isnt the difference between the p and j 20 bucks or something? i use my p-bass for recording and get a great sound out of it....i'm thinking about buying a bass cab but then people would ask me to play bass and i like guitar too much to give that up

The difference in price between a new squire p-bass and a used MIM p-bass is about $20, it will be the best 20 you ever spent...

A longtime recording/playing partner & I used a Squier J bass for about 9 years on all projects...recording, gigs, rehearsals...never a problem. He's moved on to a Gibson Les Paul bass and I now have a Carvin LB20, but those recordings still sound good.

Attachments

• carvin.jpg
    carvin.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 111
I heard recently that the Squires used to be made in Japan and they were good, then they started making in Korea and they were not so good but were improving. Maybe they are making them somewhere else, They do make some electronic stuff in China I believe, so who knows?

mine says china

my friends says indonisia

my other friends j-bass says mexico

my other other friends strat says usa

so who knows

freak

Squire instruments are now being made in Korea, have been for a few years. The building quality has gone way, way down since they moved. That's why older instruments are much better, they are basically Fenders with lighter wood. As for the makes of Squire/Fender instruments, here's the breakdown:

Squire: Korean-made, crappy

Fender (Mexican): Most common, once you get them set up and grounded, very solid, usable instrument.

Fender (American): About double the price of the Mexicans, better but not by a whole lot. Stick to the Mexican ones, or get a Warwick or custom axe. Basically, you're paying extra money just to be able to say that your bass was made in America. Not worth the $ imho.

Progger said:
Basically, you're paying extra money just to be able to say that your bass was made in America. Not worth the $ imho.

dont let all the job outsourcing victims hear you say that...but i agree....i'm proud to be an american....playing a bass made in china.

Back