squeaky acoustic guitar strings?

I concur, Elixir strings have taken care of the problem for me. They're not as expensive as they once were, and they last longer too. I use them on my acoustics and my electrics. I don't know if they make bass strings, but I might look into it... I swear by them. Check 'em out!

they do make bass strings but i've never tried em...i like dead bass strings lol..and as you know it's hard to kill elixir's...

Sometimes its just a matter of mic placement, I've found.

I've also found a little baby powder on the fingertips can help a bunch. I hate Elixers.....but thats me:p

That stuff used to bug me more untli I really listened to other peoples stuff, like Elliot Smith or even the beatles a little closer and found string squeek is like amp hiss in a way.....just the nature of the beast.

heylow
noise is my friend
;)

elixirs

I have used them on my electric guitar and once on an acoustic but stopped buying them because the electric seemed to break the high e way too often...gone back to slinkys no problem. the current problem is with a classical guitar and part of the problem is i like a wound g string and this just adds fuel to the squeak problem.

I agree that the natural sound is what is out there but sometimes when i look at he wav files the squeaks seem so much louder and in a mix with other instruments it stands out more than the playing ............i stop and go "what is that noise?"
thanks for your help fellows

The simplist solution that works wonderfully is to rub the bridge of your nose before you play. You get just enough grease on your fingers to make the noise go away.

I know I am going to hear all sorts of crazy jokes on this one....
I think I got this from some guy's guitar teacher cause he had REALLY bad squeaking on a recording I was doing for him.

It really works quite well, assuming you don't have super acne or anything. A normal face (whatever that is) will do just fine. And it is much cheaper than Elixers.

--MIKE

string grease?

I remember playing with some guy in the early seventies who sprayed some kind of grease on his strings to enable faster playing. This was not pam or something this was an actual product marketed for guitar players....

Fingerease - Works ok.

I just tried Elixirs. Wasn't too impressed. They do cut way down on the squeaking but they don't sound that good. kinda "plunky", if you know what I mean. I will probably go back to regular old strings next change.

Here's a radical suggestion to eliminate the squeaks...

Improve your "playing" technique!!

Hey Buck. How about giving us an example of a playing technique that will eliminate squeaking when you slide your fingers up or down the guitar string. That will be very interesting.

Mic placement and the mic itself determine a lot.

Harveys over the shoulder tecnique cured it for me.
I even got the squeaks pretty much out of recording a Dobro.

Martin has SP+ strings.
I just bought them but havn't strung the guitar yet.
It's their extended life version,coated with something,I'll post back with how they work.

I always used Martin phospher bronze till I tried Sliders.
Great sounding acoustic and electric strings,no coating though.

Best to you,
Pete

Yes, it's VERY important to use proper mic'ing techniques.

Sometimes though, it also helps to try alternate positions on the neck to grab the same chord. Also, many players (myself included) try so hard to play with "feel" that we tend to drag our hand a bit too heavy between chord changes, especially on songs with fast changes. Of course, most of that has to do with "muting" certain strings between the changes.
It's possible to do that with less squeak by practicing pulling off the strings at a slightly higher level, while still not sacrificing the ability to mute the "ringing" strings.
It takes just the right amount of "touch".
Often, guitar players tend to play an acoustic the same way that they play their electric guitar, which is more forgiving when it comes to "fret squeak". I've noticed that players who play acoustic guitar exclusively have a much better handle on eliminating the dreaded "squeaks" during their live performances... more so than electric guitar players who play acoustic sparodically.
When I'm recording acoustic guitar, I'll use one of my guitars that has strings that have more wear on them, as opposed to one with new strings. That helps, too.

Another suggestion to eliminating that dreaded squeak is to use nylon strings like those that are used on a classical guitar.
I've never tried it, but it does sound like an interesting idea.
Especially on a song with multiple acoustic guitar tracks.

Experimantation is one of the best parts of recording. ;)

I DO have to agree with Buck's last point.....

When I started playing acoustic after playing electric for years, I had SUCH a hard time. We went into the studio and our other guitar player at the time had to do the acoustic stuff because I had entirely too much squeek. Two different players, same guitar, varying degrees of squeek.

Its still something that comes and goes depending on how much acoustic I play now...I mean I have it relatively under control but I notice that it will still vary depending on how much acoustic I am playing and how conscious in regards to controling it.

Its a battle for sure.

Mic placement can be a HUGE dtermining factor. I think Harvey once said that his "over the shoulder" technique helped eliminate this as well. Try searching for that.....might help!

heylow

Pink by Aerosmith,
I thought I was the only one who loved that song!

Aerosmith played live on a local station around here when it came out.
They did it acoustic,totally awsome!
Wish I had recorded it.

"Pink,it's my favorite color,
"Pink,I want to be covered in rubber."

Hahahaha

Back