Springsteen info?

nezpierce

hey all,

I was just listening to a little Bruce and I got to wondering if any one knows what kind of mics/ gear that they may have used to track "The River" . His vocals really are at a high point here I think. I love the upfront vocals with that soft reverb (which would be pre-digital yes?)

I am not at all familiar with who produced him, where he recorded etc. but would love a little background if anyone knows this stuff off the top of their heads...

thanks

nP

If I remember correctly, "The River" was recorded at the old Power Station studio in New York. Neil Dorfsman was the engineer.

If it was the Power Station, then it would have had Neve console and Neumann U87 mics. Also, 24 track Studer tape drive.

I could be wrong since this has been over twenty years ago.

time for a thesis paper

You could probably write a thesis paper on the way Springsteen records.

Early years - ok recordings...bad production on some, like when Jon Landau pointed out piano pedal squeaking on the first album

Middle years...more budget...better studios.

Nebraska...4 track Teac reel to reel mastered to cassette tape...harder then hell to put on vinyl, but they did it.

The 80's - lots of live tracking and band takes

The 90's - lots of more time intensive tracking...more tracks with all performances by Bruce...aka Philadelphia

Ghost of TJ... - as before...in a nice studio, with other musicians...but the ambience is preserved by using virtually NO EQ unless absolutely necessary. Bruce said it was probably the only Grammy Nominated album ever that really wasn't EQ'd.

problem is...he only gets around to a new album every 4-5 years.

RB

Back