Spotify

It's a cracking album! It will get better and better with every listen :thumbs up:

We have Spotify Premium. The wife uses it a lot but I rarely use it. I wired her iPad thing up to my old Record Player via the DIN/Tape input. Newer music sounds better through old 70's speakers.

Great, we've found a use for Spotify - listening to eachother's albums in the context of a complete listen. Its not like anyone at our level will ever make any money off it!

Andrushkwit, I'd like to compile a playlist/album of Nirvana B-Sides and out-takes in one set without any of the shite quality rehearsal/home boombox recordings. Just all stuff like the proper studio out-takes. There must be about 30 tracks that are genuinely both good tracks and good quality but they're always in between a load of stuff that should never have been released.

er, just saw this,, oops. Did you ever check out LiveNirvana.com ? This link (Live Nirvana | LiveNIRVANA.com Song Guide) has the description of each song's recording takes, including jams of it and/or various recordings that have surfaced. I would start on this site for any venture into collecting Nirvana tracks.

er, just saw this,, oops. Did you ever check out LiveNirvana.com ? This link (Live Nirvana | LiveNIRVANA.com Song Guide) has the description of each song's recording takes, including jams of it and/or various recordings that have surfaced. I would start on this site for any venture into collecting Nirvana tracks.

I think I have most, if not all, of the decent quality recordings. No one has suggested any studio quality (or very good live) stuff that I don't have.

I think I have most, if not all, of the decent quality recordings. No one has suggested any studio quality (or very good live) stuff that I don't have.

K. If you need to check, use that. I looked up "Do Re Mi", for example, and it says there were 3 recording sessions. 2 boombox versions recorded at home in early 1994, and 1 basement recording in March 94'. Just saying how precise that site is...they really really dig into it and have everything ever put out there. it's insane.

is there a particular track you would LIKE to have a better recording of?

K. If you need to check, use that. I looked up "Do Re Mi", for example, and it says there were 3 recording sessions. 2 boombox versions recorded at home in early 1994, and 1 basement recording in March 94'. Just saying how precise that site is...they really really dig into it and have everything ever put out there. it's insane.

is there a particular track you would LIKE to have a better recording of?

Aside from Do Re Mi (which was probably never completed) the only song I would like a better recording off that I can think of is Opinion. I don't think there are any though, a couple of boombox ones and a shitty radio spot from the late 80s.

From the site:

"Only one recording has surfaced. According to ex-Geffen employee Jim Griffin, an electric version was also recorded in a studio. Do not be fooled, though, by the FAKE electric version that has been traded and is available through file sharing -- it's not Nirvana! Nirvana's electric version has not surfaced."

yeah the KAOS version is all i know of as well.

I've heard and electric cover of it, which isn't pretending to be Nirvana - they're open about it being a cover. But its a pretty good impression and sounds like early Nirvana.

The amount you get per stream depends upon a few factors, it's not just a set amount. One of those is whether it's free or paid Spotify that's doing the streaming. I tried clicking through my own album on the free version thousands of times, just as an experiment, and some revenue came through, but it wasn't picking up the multiple plays - so that's a factor as well. I get about $0.10 a month out of it... I'm saving it for a new amp. ;)

Find my album and give it a spin, would you JDOD - revenue from Wales ain't what it used to be. :D

Hey, I found you on SPot, even though I couldnt' spell 'Jongleurs. Hope the few fractions of a penny come in handy! :D

I'm here >> https://open.spotify.com/artist/2335h7eE1s5RDOAb0Zv3Mi Feel free to stream me with the volume off on your speakers. :facepalm:

I don't really know if the artists are getting screwed or not. Spotify brings in ad money from their free version and they bring in $10 a month from each premium member. There are thousands upon thousand of songs by thousand of artists. I guess they take the artists cut out of their revenue and divide it up according to the streams.
Now, a premium member ($9.99 a mo.) never sees an ad. Also, premium members can store songs or entire albums for play without streaming.
So, if I store the Beatles White album and play it every day for years and years....
How do the Lennons, McCartneys, and the Harrisons get paid with there being not one single stream?

That seems like it could be an area that the artist could get screwed. It's like owning the album when you store it. It's not a true digital song download though because it takes the Spotify software to play it.

I don't really know if the artists are getting screwed or not. Spotify brings in ad money from their free version and they bring in $10 a month from each premium member. There are thousands upon thousand of songs by thousand of artists. I guess they take the artists cut out of their revenue and divide it up according to the streams.
Now, a premium member ($9.99 a mo.) never sees an ad. Also, premium members can store songs or entire albums for play without streaming.
So, if I store the Beatles White album and play it every day for years and years....
How do the Lennons, McCartneys, and the Harrisons get paid with there being not one single stream?

That seems like it could be an area that the artist could get screwed. It's like owning the album when you store it. It's not a true digital song download though because it takes the Spotify software to play it.

They still get paid for streams even though it's stored on your phone lol. It's through their app after all...

They still get paid for streams even though it's stored on your phone lol. It's through their app after all...
well, technically it isn't a stream. You can play it with no internet connection. Their software probably updates the track plays when you do go online though.

I had Mog before I had spotify and they have since gone belly up. I have probably 200 albums saved to MOG on my old iphone. I can still open MOG up and play them...there is no Internet service on that phone. So, I know the artist are not getting paid for those plays. Spotify may be different I don't know.

Back