splitting output of soundcard to a mixer and power amp

why not just run out from the card and into the board, then use the board's outs to the power amp? that's what i do and it's the only thing i use my behringer mixer for anymore.

Thanks for your reply...

I was trying not to do it that way....because I need to be able to control the volume in the headphones separetly from the monitors.

For example, when I am tracking something...I need to be able to turn the speakers all the way down (I have everything in one room) and then be able to control the volume in the headphones. I use the mixer for the 4 preamps. I have the sound card outs coming back through the tape ins on the mixer so that when tracking I can monitor myself directly through the board and also add the rest of the mix in the headphones without it being recorded. The only place that is free to be able to hook the power amp to is the Control Room outs. If I connect them there the volume knob would control both the headphones and the monitors. I would still have to turn the volume all the way down on the power amp so there is no bleed in the mics so going through the mixer seems like an unessesary step.

So....is the Y cable a good idea or is this my only option?

Thanks Again,
Scott

You might also be able to use the ALT 3/4 bus if you are not using it for another purpose. Assign the tracks you want to listen to to the 3/4 bus, press the ALT 3-4 button to the left of the Headphone level knob, and you should get nothing out of the speakers while you get the stuff youy want to hear out of the headphones.

Alas, since this mixer has no direct outs on only the one extra stereo bus, I use my Alt 3/4 bus to send my mic signals from the board into the sound card while I listen to the output of my two soundcards trhough two pairs of line level channels. What I do to avoid bleed in those situations is simply turn the power to my speakers off.

I use both my main outs and alt 3-4 outs. Channel 1 panned left on the main bus, Channel 2 panned right on the main bus, channel 3 panned left on the alt 3-4 bus and channel 4 panned right on the alt 3-4 bus. This way I can keep all 4 channels separate.

The only outs that are available are the Control Room outs. But I don't see a reason to go through the mixer if I will still have to switch the power amp off everytime I record.

Thanks,
Scott

i used to do the same thing. trust me, spend $79 and get a 2 channel audio buddy and you will get at least the same quality pres(probably better) and free up your alt 3/4 bus.

So if I bought some new preamps, how would I be able to monitor what is going through them? With the preamps on the mixer I can add those to the headphone mix...Would I have to use the software mixer of my audiophile sound card? (I'm not sure how much latency there would be)

Thanks!

-Scott

scottn5388 said:

The only outs that are available are the Control Room outs. But I don't see a reason to go through the mixer if I will still have to switch the power amp off everytime I record.

That's essentially how all studios do it. Some mixers will deactivate the CR outs when a headphone is plugged into the jack or you use an external headphone amplifier.

Ok...but if I did go out the Control Room outs and let the Volume knob on the mixer control both...where should I set the volume on the power amp?

Thanks,
Scott

i have been told that power amps run most efficiently when turned all the way up so that's what i do and i just control the volume with my mixer. just be sure if you do it that way to start with the mixer volume ALL the way down and then move your sliders up accordingly.

mikeyc222 said:
i have been told that power amps run most efficiently when turned all the way up so that's what i do and i just control the volume with my mixer. just be sure if you do it that way to start with the mixer volume ALL the way down and then move your sliders up accordingly.

That's true but it's mainly for live PA rigs. In a studio monitoring environment you rarely use that much power. On my Hafler 1600 and NS10's I have the power amp set to 50% so that I still have some usable range on the mixer volume. If I set the power to 100% I could only use about 5% of the volume knob to adjust the level. You also risk blowing your speakers very easily if they can't handle the entire power load and usually you want a bigger amp then your speakers can handle for nice clean power.

So the rule of thumb is to set you control room volume on the mixer to about 50-80% then turn up the power amp so that it's really loud. Then turn down the volume on your mixer to a comfortable level and you are all set. It's a bit of balance act between the two volume settings and the ultimate goal is to safely and easily adjust your monitor volume with the control room knob.

Back